Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 
magikb3anz

Weird stripes on male betta (not stress stripes)

My male DT Ash is normally light grey with red some red and blue (see profile pic)
I've noticed he has gotten these vertical stripes ever since moving him into his new 2gal home. He has also become more lethargic.
The stripes are black and resemble mating stripes. They are most definitely not stress stripes as those are horizontal and he only gets them when I do water changes, after he's been in the net.
I also know he's not that old. I got him from a Nature Pet Centre (Canada) and they typically put down their animals after a set period of time if they haven't sold. I've had him for eight months now.
He lives in a 2gal tank, heated but not filtered and I do weekly 100% water changes. He used to live in a 0.5gal bowl until about 1 month ago.
Does anyone know what this could be?
magikb3anz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They're probably just submission stripes which is what breeding stripes are. The net could have something on it that makes him feel threatened and he then submits to it. It's not harmful or anything so he'll be fine I find younger males do that more as the older ones don't.

Also on a side note, he looks incredibly skinny! Fatten him up! lol don't be afraid to feed him more than a few pellets a day!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 
magikb3anz

Well I've actually had a lot of trouble with feeding him since if he get more than 5 pellets in total per day, he's belly up the next morning with a bad case of SBD.
Part of it is aslo the angle of the pic, he actually has a bit of a tummy he's just at an angle in the picture since I took it in the middle of him swimming.
I feed Betta Bio Gold and I need to switch his food but the problem is, it's the only betta food available at my local pet store besides blood worms which I have but only feed my bettas with on occasion.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Can you order things online? New Life Spectrum will probably be the best for him, the small fish formula since it's a nice .5 mm pellet and he can pack away more without getting bladder issues.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #5 
magikb3anz

I might be able to but I'm not sure since I am under 18.
I could get my parents to but that might be a problem since unfortunately they hate my fish >_< (they say I talk about them too much) but maybe with some persuasion I can get all my bettas better food.
Also, how much is a 10 gal tank typically since all the ones at my pet store are between 800-1200$ (canadian) Which I find ridiculous.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could be your Christmas gift maybe! A small container is only like 4-5 dollars really!

And 800-1200 are you looking at kit's or saltwater tanks? Try looking at Wal-Mart or some cheaper store, if you buy JUST the tank it's usually 15 dollars-ish but then yes you do have to get the filter/heater/gravel/decor and whatnot but it could be worth it since you could get the exact stuff that you want rather than getting a kit and then hating the filter or heater lol.

For heater's I suggest you getting an adjustable one especially for a 10 gallon since sometiems you'll have to battle diseases and sometimes you can just turn the temp up to cure them! So that's pretty darn awesome I really like Hydor Theo, don't know if you can order from this site, I think it's American but you could at least look at it http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 50Watt's for 10 gallons.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #7 
magikb3anz

Yeah that would make a good X-mas gift XD. It would make my fishies happy.
I think they're salt water kits. Unfortunately, the biggest plastic tank I could find was 2 gal for 13$ which is reasonable.
I have looked at my local Wal-Mart and the biggest they have is 3gal for 40$ and that is just the tank.
I'm actually really happy my Wal-Mart doesn't sell fish because of the horror stories I've heard.
I wish I had a petsmart or petco but before I found this site, I had never heard of them so I doubt there are any ones locally.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What about Big Al's? I know that's Canadian and around, I just don't know exactly where of course

Yeah my Wal-Mart doesn't sell fish either which is nice.

Yeah, don't look at the saltwater kits, wayyyyy too expensive and nothing you need for freshwater! lol You could always try Amazon or Ebay and I think...what is the craigslist equivalent....kijiji? something like that. But maybe someone around your area is selling a tank cheap as well you can look for those for Christmas as well ^_^

Here's just the tank off Amazon, you'd need a parent of course to buy it online: http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Aquatic-S...ords=10+gallon But you could look around online and make a little list for your parents and be like "This, I want this" lol
Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #9 
magikb3anz

Ah that looks like a good deal thanks :)
Now comes the persuasion. Hopefully it goes well since my mom has made it VERY clear that I am not to buy any more fish or a big aquarium with filter since she says it's too much work even though I'll be the only one maintaining it.
Should have seen her face when I brought home my third betta XD
Well maybe if my 'behaviour' is good, I can get the tank.
I think there is a Big Al's nearby but I've never been. Maybe they treat their bettas nicer although, what's good is that at my local pet shop is that the bettas are not kept in cups but are in small glass bowls attached to the wall so none are shoved in the back although I've seen many sick or dead bettas
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, see a filter is super beneificial for your fish! It keeps them healthy because it sustains good bacteria which eat up ammonia (fish poop and other waste) and turns it into nitrite, then that's turned into nitrate which is then taken out by water changes. But in all it keeps your fish safe and allows you to not have to change water every other day >.< it's more work to NOT have a filter! Unless you had a natural planted tank but even still, they benefit from having filters!

But yes, do some chores around the house and just agree with your mom on almost everything even if it doesn't seem quite right. Just warm up to her, give her a list but don't bug her, the bugging is what sets them off do that and you should be good to go

And you can divide the 10 gallon in three sections (that's how mine is) so you can keep all three safe and sound!

So do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? I explained it in a nutshell up top in this message but there's a little more to it lol