Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Water change schedule

With 9 fish, I decided to make myself a water change schedule and so far, I'm sticking to it. Before, I wasn't being real diligent with my water changes and it just isn't healthy for my fish. I'm doing a different fish each day, some days its 2 fish. Do any of you have a schedule that you go by?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #2 
Jupiter

I always do my water changes on Wednesday, because i have a large break between classes. I do about 20-30% on my 10 gal and siphon the bottom.
But with my the new guy in his uncycled 2 gal, I think I'm going to do 100% on Wednesday and 50% Friday.

I always do it on the day they get brine shrimp so they don't feel so bad. Lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I just started my own schedule too. I clean 4 or 5 tanks mondays and the other 2 or 3 wednesdays so it gives me a little break in between. I do my 1G on both of these days.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #4 
dr2b

I do Flair's water change on Thursday. Marina's is done on Sunday. This varies some - it really depends on what is happening with me. If I am sick it gets pushed back a day...but pretty consistently it's Sunday and Thursday.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #5 
Kim

I clean all 4 tanks on Saturday morning. Sat. is usually my rest day so in the morning I relax by just cleaning all my tanks. They're cycled so I just do partials and I have a little routine. First I use my magnetic scraper to clean the sides of all the tanks, then I use a toothbrush to scrub the dividers and near the bottom and top where the scraper can't reach. I do my 5.5 gallon first while the 15 gallon settles (for some reason the divider grows black beard algae and I let it sink to the bottom after I scrub it so that I can siphon it up), then the 10 gallon, then the 15. In each tank I first siphon the gravel and take out 20% of the water while I'm at it. Then I scrub the plants in the old tank water and shake out the filter pads. Once I'm done with all 3 tanks I make sure my aged water is the correct temp (adding boiling water to raise it if necessary), add conditioner, and fill them all up again. My new tank I have to do after with all separate equipment because my newest Petco buddy has IP :( Later on his tank will go along with the routine as planned. All said and done, it takes me about 2 hrs to do all the tanks, but I only need to do it once a week ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

I do the 3 gallons on Saturday, It switches every week from 50% to 100%, but I do "spot" cleaning pretty much every 2 days. On Sunday I change 15% in the 10 gallon. Then on Tuesday I do the 14 gallon with 20-25%.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good everyone. Maybe all this info will help someone who might not know how often to clean their tanks.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I agree. You def have to set up a schedule for yourself and stick to it. If you don't, weeks could go by before you realize that you haven't cleaned your tank yet.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #9 
vaygirl

Every Monday I do a 3 gallon change/gravel vaccum/algae scrub on my 16 gallon. I usually have to add a 4th gallon cause my house sucks up water like a sponge. I don't know where all the water goes. My house still feels like a desert. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #10 
JaspersANGEL

Every Wednesday I do a water change, I think you should do weekly water changes on 2.5 gallon tanks or higher right...(please correct me if I'm wrong). But the thing I was wondering is if I should do a 50% water change one week then a 100% change the other (by 100% change I mean rinse the plants and the ornament in hot water and still with hot water clean what I can of the gravel and swish the water along the sides of the tank) and keep rotating like that...
should I just change the water and not bother with the toys and the gravel...

My other question was is how do you cycle a tank or how do you know if a tank is cycled...
I'm fairly new at fish keeping but who knows....maybe one day

P.S. Jasper gets a bloodworm after his water changes to calm him down and to show him that I still love him *LoL*
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote