Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #1 
Traceuse24

Unhappy I think my fish hates me? :-<

Three wonderful weeks ago I bought this amazing Veiltail whom I named (Po)seidon. He is my first betta, so before I got him I did as much research as I could on them. I refused to ask petco for any advise mainly because when I did go to pick out Po, the fish there looked so close to death I almost broke down into tears. Currently he's a 1 gallon bowl which I do plan of changing soon. It was the only thing I could afford, but he will be in a 5 gallon tank soon :).

Recently he had a piece of poop stuck on his pelvic fins. Me being the naive owner that I was, I thought it was food, it was poop, and it developed to a little bit of fin rot.
I am treating him for it with some betta fix, mardel maracyn 2, and making sure he has a stress coat. However in the process of him getting this, I've been working at keeping the water super clean. Ive been changing his water every night and I noticed
he now flares at my fingers!
I know that its okay for him to flare but not ALL the time. He gets really excited when I show my face near his tank he will be happy and come to me when I call him, he has built bubble nests in the past but hasnt built one with the water changes. He has no tears at all on his fins, he eats like there is no tomorrow STILL, and he isnt pale

What can I do to stop him from flaring at my fingers?
Traceuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't worry about it. He's just doing what comes naturally... and he wants to show you that he's the boss. lol Welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 
Traceuse24

Thank you so for the welcome and advice.

I was worried, I actually just came back into my room and he swam towards me to welcome me into my room like always but I showed him my finger and he flared again and just followed it. I love him so much, I'm just making sure he's alright, he's my baby. :3... For now I just wont be showing him my finger too much just to make sure
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol He's fine, there's nothing wrong. My first betta used to flare at me a lot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

My Betta fish flare at me all the time. It's just part of being a Betta.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #6 
Siobhan

My girl Ellie flares at me daily. It doesn't mean he hates you. It probably means he wants you to admire how gorgeous he is in case you forgot since the last time he saw you. LOL
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #7 
sainthogan

My female does a half flare at me when she greets me and is expecting to be fed.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #8 
Traceuse24

I want to say that it was a positive flare but I think it is out of stress from treating his fin rot. Recently his fins began to clamp... well only his top fin. I dont see any signs of velvet or Ich. Just that one fin and the flaring so I'm not sure what to do.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #9 
Stormykitty

I too recently got a new fish and he flares all. the. time. He definitely has more personality than my other fish did (Actually, Thor was pretty awesome and laid back) But it worries me that he flares so much, I worry that his little heart will give out or he'll give himself a fit.

I just recently discovered one can kill a fish through shock so I'm very sensitive to this.
Stormykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #10 
Traceuse24

It scares me so much to have him flare so much but idk

Tags
cleaning, fingers, finrot betta veil, flaring