Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 
Betta Nut

Betta has never made a bubble nest

I have only had my betta for about a month, but it's already an obsession!
I spend all day on my days off pouring over this site, learning and enjoying looking at other's tank setups.
I currently only have Remy LeBeau (took me ages to figgure out a name that fit) in a 1 gallon heated and planted aquarium. I know, I know, anything under 2 gallons is poo-poo'd at, but since I switched out the silk plants with live plants, he's soooo active and happy in there. He is never still unless all the lights are out. He does have a hidey spot ornament, but only swims in and out of it.
He's a happy and healthy boy in every way, but I am a little bothered he has never made a bubble nest. Do some bettas just have no interest in making one, ever? I guess it's not a sign of being happy, since the walmart cup ones sometimes make one (how, I have no idea, they cant even move). Maybe he is still young? I've only had him a month and did get him from a pet store, but his fins are mature, and he loves flaring at anything. Just thought I'd ask about this, since I couldn't find anything about it. Thanks!
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #2 
Traceuse24

Smile Bubble Nests!

I completely understand the obsession. When I got my Po(seidon).. I just call him Po :3 I became a betta nut! I am currently trying to learn about their genetics so I can learn how Po got his freckles.
I am not sure how bubble nests work honestly. From all the research I've done, bubble nests have more to do with a betta feeling secure more than happy.

Po made bubble nests every day since he came home from PETCO, although he never made one at PETCO, however since he got fin rot from an attached piece of poop on his pelvic fins, and I've had to change his water so frequently he hasn't made one in a couple of days. :(

If your betta feels secure he will most likely build one. He also should have a heater because warmer water kicks their breeding into overdrive. (Their fry can only survive in warmer water, so warm water= breeding=bubble nests :) )

That's all I got :D
Traceuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 
Chachi

I have bettas that have never made bubble nests. It sounds like he has a great set up, I wouldn't worry about the size of the tank....a gallon can be okay as long as the water quality is good. Just do frequent water changes and it should be fine. Welcome to the forum!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4 
Betta Nut

Thanks for the replies, seems like such a helpful community here! So OK, just wanted to find out if it was an indication of something wrong. He might yet have a suprise for me one day, but if not, I don't have to worry. Good to know it isn't that abnormal. And yeah, had been doing 100% changes twice weekly, but now that I have 5 live plants that seem to be doing well and growing I'll just do two 50% and see how it goes.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 
Traceuse24

When I first got Po it took him about 2 days to feel safe and for him to believe that the water wasnt going to change before he made one. I would probs wait maybe 3 and see then... just to make sure. Albeit, I dont have natural plants, I'm waiting until I get Po a 5 gallon to experiment with it. I know they release algae so maybe your judgement is best.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Don't worry about it. They don't need to make nests, and your care sounds great.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 
Betta Nut

Oh here, I will see if this picture I tried to take with my laptop webcam shows anything, lol.. If so, this is a blurry Remy swimming around some of his plants :) We all need to show our "kids", after all!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #8 
Traceuse24

Oh I see... Is there anyway that you can put a plant with a leaf near the surface of the water? Some bettas need it to build a sturdy nest around them. Po looks for the best floating object, and from that he builds a nest off of it. It's convenient... maybe thats it. Your aquarium looks spectacular by the way.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #9 
Betta Nut

I was thinking about maybe getting a floater, like .. wisteria I think? The taller plant in the back does reach the surface though.... Anyway, it's not a huge deal I guess. But I may get one since there'd be lots of clear surface area still. I just don't want to crowd a small tank too much. Thanks for the feedback :)
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Who knows, one day he may surprise you. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote