Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #1 
Kanra Chan

Free Mystery Snails - Toronto

I'm unable to post in the Classifieds, so I hope it's okay that I'm putting this here.

I have one-month old mystery snail hatchlings (White and blue) that I can't keep. I will grow them to five-month olds, and then give them away to Big Al's, who have offered to pay me for them. However, since I'm not a pro breeder, I will be donating them.

If there is anyone in the Greater Toronto Area who would like one or more of the hatchlings before they are donated, please let me know via. replying in this thread, and hopefully we can work out a time and place where I can give you one.

I would highly recommend mystery snails to anyone with an established aquarium, as they are a great compliment to betta fish environments (Since both species breathe surface air, an air stone is not required). These snails are very pretty, entertaining, and easy to keep. I recommend keeping at least a pair (Though not necessary). Even though snails have no need of companionship, they do interact with each other, and it is very charming to watch. Sometimes they will hitch rides on the back of each other's shells, and when one of them gets too far away, the other usually follows.

One time, my female was trying to get on top of a moss ball, but it kept rolling back on her because of her weight. My male went to the other side of the moss ball and held it down for her until she got to the top. Whether or not this was intentional, little things like this are what I find very fun about keeping more than one snail. Of course, one snail is still great to have!

I have been told that mystery snails will eat live plants, and bettas may bite at their tentacles, although none of these things have ever occurred with my snails. I have also been told by Big Al's that the snails will be able to be transferred to another tank once they have reached maturity (Five months) with no significant shock to them or their new environment. I will take any precautions requested of me, so please do not hesitate to make a request as far as conditioning the snails go.

Feel free to ask any questions, I will answer them as best as I can. Again, if I have caused trouble by placing this thread inappropriately, I apologize. It is my intention to comply with the rules.

Thank you for reading! ~Kanra
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 
redthebetta

If you can ship, I would pay for shipping. It's not that hard to ship snails, half a cup of water, double bagged and some bubble wrap.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #3 
BettaBoy51

Wish I could buy some but I don't have the money
BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #4 
Kanra Chan

I have never shipped before, it is something that I will have to research, but I'm not opposed to it. I have a post office nearby, I will drop by and ask them for some info. If you would also offer me any information or advice you have, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #5 
Kanra Chan

BettaBoy51, if you live in the GTA, I will give them to you for free. If not though, I can update you once I figure out how much it would be to ship them. It might not be very much.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #6 
redthebetta

Ok, here's a more detailed guide:
Supplies:
  1. 2 Ziplock bags
  2. Tank water
  3. Bubblewrap or newspaper
  4. Envelope or shipping box
How to:
  1. Put 0.5-1 cup of tank water in a bag
  2. Put the snails in
  3. Put the bag in the other bag
  4. Wrap in bubblewrap or newspaper
  5. Put in envelope or box
  6. Don't tell anyone that there is water in it
If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to share them.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #7 
Kanra Chan

redthebetta, thank you very much! I assume I'd have to disclose that I'm sending something living, or would it be better not to? I will try to investigate the pro's and con's of both options though.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 
redthebetta

I don't think that there is a law about it and if you do, you will either be charged 3X more or not allowed to ship them. When I received my bettas by Greyhound, the box said "fragile" but not "water" or "live animals".
Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #9 
Kanra Chan

Me trying to take a picture of the snails, and Mako getting in the way
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #10 
redthebetta

So can you ship them?