Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #1 
BakaMandy

Annoyed

So my father, being the jerk that he is, decided he'd "skool" me on raising betta fish, just cause apparently when he was growing up in Vietnam he raised hundreds of wild bettas and he knows EVERYTHING about them *rolls eyes*

Anyway, he keeps picking on me for doing water changes all the time. Cause well... I do a 50% water change for my girls tank once every week, and I change Shota and Aros' water every 2-3 days (both are in 1 gallon hospital tanks right now). He says it's unhealthy for them and that I'm killing my fish.

I told him otherwise, I was like "Dad, have you heard of the Nitrogen cycle? If you know how it works in tanks, you will know WHY I need to change the water. I know what I'm doing." And then he'd be like "sure sure, don't blame me if they die then."

Everyone on my dad's side of the family who have owned betta fish used them for fighting (Dx grr Asian families) and NEVER took good care of their fish (tiny bowls and rarely ever changed water T_T) and their fish died within WEEKS.

Well anyway, I just felt like wanting to vent about it, but then in the back of my mind I kind felt myself asking if I'm doing the right thing for my fish or if my dad's right. I think I know what's best for them and I just want to kinda confirm that with others I guess?

It just occurred to me though... if I'm right and my dad is wrong, then that would explain why all our fish died in our old fish tank when I was young 8|

(And apologize to Dramaqueen if 'jerk' is considered profanity. I discussed it with a few friends before posting this, and they all agreed it wasn't really profanity, so I used it.)

Last edited by BakaMandy; 10-22-2009 at 10:32 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

Aw, that's a bummer.
I sort of know what it's like when a loved one says that you're caring for your pets all wrong. I think you're totally right with your fish! Your dad just took information from his personal experience the wrong way >>

My best friend is a bit silly like that. She says it's just a myth that they're fighter fish and that they won't actually hurt each other if housed together. When I got my java fern, she told me that my fish will just eat it and get sick. I told her right away that she was wrong on both accounts, but wasn't very convinced. I mean jeeze, what does she know about fish? She had one betta in a 1/2 tank that lived for less than a year and a couple of goldfish that lived even less. Wow. It also disappoints me when she's all " GOD, it's just a fish! You can just buy another one, stop caring for it". It's hurtful when she mocks my ways....to me, a life is a life. Your life has the same value as any other living creature out there so respect it like you do to your own.

Oh jeeze, now I went off in a rant, sorry >>;
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some people think that changing the water too much will hurt the fish! I don't think you can ever change it too much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

Don't worry! I feel the same! A life is a life for sure.

I love my fish and all my pets lots and it really upsets me when people treat them like they don't even consider them 'alive'. )': It's just so wrong to me on so many different levels... so many people have just let the whole idea that "humans are at the top of the food chain" get to their head and think less of everything else, and sometimes even of one another. To be honest, I'm disgusted with the majority of our species; there's no humanity, why are we even considering ourselves 'humans' anymore?

But thank you :) I feel very comforted and confident now!
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

Thanks, and you're welcome :'3

Yes, I agree. Our species bothers me so much xP
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I agree 100% with you guys. :/

Your dad should respect that they're your animals, and you're mature enough to handle them yourself. I don't see how fresh, clean water can hurt a fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Awww, I know just how you feel D: My parents were like that at first...until I presented them with the facts, got a gravel siphon, and they saw the results of my WCs and tank care. They don't harp on me about that so much anymore, actually my dad is trying to think of ways to make it easier for me now....

Though its clear they still don't get my love of fish and why I'm so attached to them, and its sort of hard as they tease me insensately about it....granted they mean no real harm, but still it does hurt. I've taken to just ignoring it most of the time.
Though, you know what really helped? Got my mom a betta. I She comes in every day and talks and sings to Max, and he responds to her and recognizes her. She seems a bit more understanding of my love for bettas now I believe, and will even talk to my others ^-^

Luckily, with my homeschooling and living in the middle of nowhere, I'm pretty isolated....so I don't have any friends around really to poke fun at me for fish keeping, and the family is surprisingly cool about it O.o;
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm disgusted with our species, too. I live in a "retirement" community and you wouldn't believe how 70+ year olds act!! There is a lot of backstabbing and bickering going on. Everyone looks out for themselves and the heck with everyone else! Thats my rant for the night! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Next time he gives you bad advice, just point out the fact that your fish are thriving. So you must be doing something right.

And grrrrrrr.......... about keeping them just to fight.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

DQ - your Morgan could be twins with my Bingo.

I WILL get pictures posted one of these days.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote