Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #1 
Liquid Tension

First post, hello, ?'s, etc.

Hey gang, just found this site a few days ago. Lots of great info, pics, and posts. So after a few days of lurking, I'd thought I'd say hello.

I've kept bettas in the past and always kept them in betta cubes. Upon finding this site, I noticed that most people here keep your bettas in 2 gal. tanks or larger with filters and heaters. I can see where the quality of life for bettas can be better in this environment. (I should know this as I've kept larger fish before (Oscars, JD's, Firemouths)).

The question I have is this: What is the average life span of a betta kept in a smaller cube/bowl/tank vs. one kept in a larger (2 gal. or more) tank with a filter and heater?

Looking forward to starting up the hobby again with another betta. Thanks for a great fourm and will be visiting here alot more.
Liquid Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. With proper care, a betta can live to be 3-4 years old. I had one in a .5 gallon vase that was about 4 years old when he died.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum. Growing up I used to have little bowls for my bettas, probably less than .5G and they usually lasted a couple weeks, BUT I probably never cleaned their bowls. I've had Fantasia and Flame for over a year in a 2.5G divided tank together without a filter or a heater. When I bought these tanks though, I didn't know about this website and now after reading different posts, I know that bigger is def better.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #4 
Calmwaters

Welcome to the forum.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #5 
okijapan

When I was 15 I kept a betta alive in a bowl for just over three years.

But I have to say that when they are moved from an un-cycled bowl or small tank to a 3+ gallon filtered tank, there is a marked improvement on their activity and energy levels.

I haven't investigated it much, but I've heard it said that most betta who live for years in a small bowl don't die of old age. They die of organ failure due to a buildup of fat in the organs...AKA not enough room to actually swim and keep healthy by way of exercise.
I think back to that betta when I was 15 and realize that the 2.5" betta was in a 6X6X6 cube and probably died because he couldn't really move around. Not such a good feeling, but make up for it (to myself anyway) by having the four betta I have now in tanks of 4 gallon and up
okijapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #6 
Jupiter

I had two bettas that i kept in a 2.5 split, but I didn't clean it well and it wasn't heated. They only lasted a few months. ;(

Well, my bettas are still fairly new, but they certainly seem more healthy and active compared to the two I used to keep. I have a 10 gal with 5 girls and a 2.5 gal with a male in it.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote