Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #1 
vaygirl

Possible cyst? Not sure

In this picture you can see what looks like a black speck back near Tango's tail. It's been there for a good while but I've noticed that there seems to be a big clear bubble underneath it in his hind end. Almost like a cyst of some kind? It doesn't seem to bother him but I can see it starting to come out from his body like a lump. Can fish get cancer? Anyone ever heard of this? It's totally clear. You can see through it. Is it a normal part of a betta and it's just coincidence that there's a black speck right where it is? He's about a year old or so. He just started building his bubble nest recently. I was wondering if it's some reproductive thing. Anyway, thanks in advance.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #2 
vaygirl

Now I'm thinking maybe it's his swim bladder? Maybe I should have looked into anatomy first. :P
Is that about the right spot for the swim bladder? Sorry for all the questions. It just spooked me a little.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #3 
JamieTron

Here is a decent photo of betta anatomy http://www.bettaparadise.co.uk/fpdb/...my_Diagram.jpg

now I don't think that would be the swim bladder to me. It sound like some kind of sore or something. Has it grown larger since your post? Here is a picture of a cyst on a goldfish http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/f.../jessfish1.jpg similar???

Sometimes this could be an abnormality in your fish's genetics or perhaps there is an underlying bacterial infection. It could also be due to a reaction to a parasite. If his lump appears to fill up with fluid maybe you should salt bath or treat with medication. As for cancer...well fish can get cancer, but I think this is probably not the cause of your lump from your description.

I hope this helps you try to figure out what it could be!

Jamie
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #4 
vaygirl

Thanks Jaime.
It definitely doesn't look like that thing on the goldfish. It looks like an oval shaped clear bubble inside the base of his tail that's filled with clear fluid. It's probably about the size of half a pea right now.
It does look a little larger. You can't really see that it protrudes unless he's turned sideways and the light hits it a certain way and then you can see that it's protruding a little bit from his body. That's how I first noticed it. When he's in front of the light you can see it inside him. I think I might try a salt bath then. He's pretty tolerant of me, I can pet him and all so I'm not worried about stress.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 AM   #5 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Could you get another shot of the area, Vaygirl? It looks oddly familiar to me.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Well actually, if you look at his avatar pic, you can see that black dot on his tail base? You can kind of see the edge of the bubble to the upper left of that spot. You can see the light hitting off the edge of it. I've been trying and trying to get a better pic but it's not happening. I'll try again.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

i hope he gets better!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #8 
vaygirl

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/va...1/1001630i.jpg
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/va...3/1001632s.jpg

There, I tried for better ones. Anyone know what that black mark might be? An old wound? Here's a clearer pic of it... he's had it forever it seems. https://ph82zw.blu.livefilestore.com...T/100_1407.jpg
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #9 
vaygirl

I'm getting more and more convinced it's his swim bladder and he's swollen from trying to be a catfish. I feed him hikari gold pellets, 2-3 pellets, twice a day. I feed him right before the catfish get their shrimp pellets because otherwise he chases the pellets down to the bottom and grabs the whole thing. A couple days ago I saw him down at the bottom laying near the catfish and his mouth was all swollen and he kinda went 'Ptooey!' and spit out a huge pellet. He's learned from the catfish that their food is on the bottom and now he's foraging like they do. Could it be as simple as overeating? He's swimming around as normal but now and then he lays behind the heater for a couple minutes supported on the bracket. That's totally new for him. I'm fasting him and the poor catfish (what'd we do?) today. He's begging right now, poor thing. Feeeeed meeeee! You know, sometimes having a see through betta is nerve racking if you don't know what you're looking at. :P
Old 10-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

You may have to start taking him out when you feed the catfish. It sounds like he's just been eating too much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote