Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #1 
BennysMom

Unhappy Benny's Sick - Please Help

Hi,
I have had my Betta fish Benny for about 6 months. I adopted him from my neighbors who were moving. Since adopting him, I have taken better care of him than his previous owners. I change the water twice a week. Keep the temp between 74-80 degrees. Interchange his diet between pellets and Brine shrimp...but over the last 4 days Benny has stopped eating. He used to greet me in the morning swimming around the top of his tank waiting to be feed. Now for the past 4 days he has sat slumped at the bottom of the tank barely moving. I thought he might have gotten sick so I added a drop of medication to his water and nothing. I then changed his water and still nothing. He barely moves and I keep thinking he's dead. I've looked over all the possible diseases a Betta fish could get and he doesn't look like any of the pictures shown (of diseased Betta's) I took a sample of his water to Petco where they did an analysis of the water and said it looked fine. The man at the fish dept. said I was doing everything right and had no explanation why Benny is doing this. I believe he is around 2 years old..and the man at Petco said that is old by Betta fish. So my question is, is Benny just old and starving himself to death? I feel horrible that there is nothing I can do for him. I did buy some aquarium salt at Petco and put one minute piece of it in the water, just in case to increase the electrolytes for my buddy. Right now he is slumped over in his plant. I don't know what to do, tomorrow will be day #5 that he hasn't eaten anything. Any suggestions on what might have caused this drastic change in Benny? Is he just old and dying? Has anyone else witnessed this with their fish?
BennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #2 
iheartmyfishies

Two years is a pretty good lifespan... but bettas have been known to live for up to five years. If it happened just recently and he was fine like a week ago then there is reason to believe something is wrong. How big is your tank?
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #3 
BennysMom

Benny's sick

His tank is one that hangs on the wall, it's about a gallon. I know it's small but this is what he has lived in all his life...I have three cats so getting another one isn't an option right now. I do do frequent changes because of the size. I didn't know much about Bettas when I adopted him and thought that the people who gave him to me (in this tank) knew what they were doing. It was only by me going online and doing research that I learned sometimes they like bigger tanks. The tank hasn't been a problem before, why all of a sudden would his demeanor change?
I noticed today he was moving on the bottom of the tank, but he looked more like slithering along the bottom than swimming. My biggest worry is that he hasn't come to the top of the tank in 5 days now, and hasn't eaten either. I'm afraid he's going to starve to death.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one that went a whole week without eating because he was constipated.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

just keep an eye on him, he may start to eat in a day or two. he might just be older. but, to give you some encouragement, i had one live till he was almost 6 years old.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #6 
BennysMom

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'll keep you posted on his condition.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one that was around 4 years old when he died.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #8 
BennysMom

Just to let you all know, Benny passed away yesterday. It's pretty devastating.. He was fine then all of a sudden got sick and died. I'm used to seeing him swimming around the top of his tank in the morning waiting to be fed :)
Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Benny! RIP Benny.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #10 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
awwwwwwww that sucks I bet it wasn't your fault. Swim free little benny. a one gallon bowl is what I have both of mine in one gallons and they're fine. hmmmmmmmmm I wonder what it could of been. well all that i can say is that i'm really sorry.
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unresponsive betta