Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #1 
MrsRowell706

Exclamation Not sure what is going on with Bells fin?

I noticed today that a lot of bells fin looks like it was shredded I don't know if this is normal or if he's bitting it or if something is wrong he's playing by the filter im worried that it might have got in there some how he's swimming and eating just fine he's been flaring at me a lot more since his new home but I think thats normal this is what it looks like nowName:  image.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  51.4 KB

I really couldn't get a good pic because he would swim away to fast I have betta fix should I just put some in his tank?
He's in a 10g tank temp is around 80 all his plants are silky so I dont think he could have done it on there Ive had him about 2 months now his top fin always looked a lil funny to me but was told it was normal not to sure what it could be but like I said he ls always by the filter he swims against the flow could that be doing this?
MrsRowell706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
MrsRowell706

This is what it looked like before Name:  image.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Hey how is he doing? If it happened overnight or the same day than it tail biting. If it would be some kind of infection it would be more gradual. Unless he damage them on the filter. Make sure filter is not too strong for him. Keep water super clean to prevent an infection. Do more frequent water changes. Really recommending frozen food that has more nutrients and protein in it. Make sure you swish/rinse the filter media to get rid of all that gunk it regularly gathers on them from the water.
Just look at the picture again and the tail edges look clean, no sign of the fin rot, so i am assuming it happened fast and it just tail biting , or filter damage.
You really can lower temp at least to 78*. I love to say 76*. The warmer is the temp - more chance for the infections.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #4 
MrsRowell706

Thank you it's not any worse and yes it happened over night I noticed the filter flow was strong for him so I muffled it a lil with a water bottle and now he plays in it from the side he's a weird fish I'll try to turn the heater down a bit. What kind of frozen food do u suggest I've never got any before and I have betta fix should I put some in his tank? And how often of a change for a 10g he's the only fish in there and no live plants.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 
ANHEL123

I like frozen blood worms . I just started recently feeding all my bettas with it. I had my 3.5 y old betta got bad fin rot about 5 month ago . I really think that frozen food helped his recovery , of course along with medications. So since that i feed them once a wk , or once every 2 wks. I am lazy But i feed them a few different kinds of pellets , dried daphnia , dried blw. Frozen food a little messy so i feed them the day when i do full water changes. For you just give one blood worm at the time. You can use a tweezers to feed. Just be careful , hold one end of the blood worm so the fish don't touch it and hurt the lips.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/bloodwor...Fa9lOgodZF8ABg

10 gall do minimum 50% weekly with gravel vacuuming, filter media swish/rinse in the tank water weekly to get rid all that gunk that gathering on them regularly.It more important to do that , then change the cartridge . You don't have to change it a lot just rinse it. Check the water parameters and do additional water changes if needed. Its always good idea to do extra water changes a wk though. Test kit don't show how much bacteria in the water from all that waste that fish produce.
Do not put betta fix or any medications with ''fix'' in it. I would return it. Its has tea tree oil and can damage betta's labyrinth organs. If it tail biting or even injury from the filter he should be fine with clean water. May be do more water changes, 2-50 a week. Go return bettafix if you can or exchange it for a stress coat. Stress coat has Aloe Vera in it and helps with the healing. Sometimes biting is difficult and fish can do it regularly , so all you can do is keep the water super clean to prevent an infection and stress coat. But you need to make sure he will not develop any discolorations on the tips of his tail.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 
MrsRowell706

Do I just give him one? Sorry just never gave them that kind of food and not sure on how it works since it's frozen in a cube lol
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #7 
MrsRowell706

Ok I bought the blood worms and now understand what you were saying lol I didn't realize they were still whole worms I thought they were chopped up so I gave each Betta one worm and the loved it
Old 12-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I am not sure how many time a wk you can feed with that. You can feed once a wk for sure. You can use it as a meal , and skip on the pellets . I give them about 3-4 depending on how big the worm is.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #9 
MrsRowell706

The ones I pulled out were kinda long so I only gave them one and the one pellet a couple hours later. I have a question for u I have a heater I bought it used with my tank and I turned it down because the water was warm and the heater doesn't have numbers on it so not sure what temp it's at but now I turned it down its blinking has that ever happened to you
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can feed 2-3 times a week, that's what I normally do although I haven't done it in a while lol. I normally give 3-6 or 7 worms depending on the fish, how big the worm is and their age. Do not refreeze the leftover's, they can sit in the fridge for a few day's (I would say five at the max but there's no set date). Instead you can chop off a sliver to thaw out and keep the rest frozen, that's what I do as well ^_^ makes it easier.

As for your boy here, I would do two 50% water changes weekly for him right now so that his fins can start to grow back. You want to keep the water healthy and clean so that the fin's don't get bacterial infections like rot. So with the combination of that, a good diet and possibly some meds if needed he should be all set! I also use fishy vitamins lol. I get them from here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...98&pcatid=4998 if you get it make sure it's the freshwater one lol. But I've seen quite an improvement since I've used it so that's nice too Sometimes I forget so my fish don't get it all the time but they're vitamins, what's there bad about those? lol And because our fish don't get all the minerals and vitamins they would get in the wild, it makes sense.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote