Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #1 
Spinny

Fin rot or not?

Hi everyone, I brought Floey home in November and managed to nurse it back to health from dropsy. Recently I have seen torn fins but it isn't clumped up or darkening. In fact the tips which look shredded are white. Active and eats.

Water parameters all in check
Temperature 80
Food: 6/7 days, 4 pellets a day, 2 pellets in the morning and 2 pellets at night.
Type of food: flakes and pellets ( but more pellets cause it has SBD, born as a DT but does not have a completely split caudal fin, some call it heart tail?not sure, nobody has seen the caudal fin close, I think he is unable to, cause it's not completely split nor completely joined)
Lives alone in a 5 gallon tank
Thank you.

Hope someone can identify from the picture if it's fin rot or perhaps bacteria.

Attached Images

Last edited by Spinny; 12-04-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Grammar error, sorry.
Spinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #2 
bettafishgirl

I do not think it is fin rot. Fin rot usually causes the tips to shrivel and blacken. Although, his fins do look questionably short. Interesting.
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #3 
Spinny

Could it be internal bacteria or internal parasites which cause malnutrition thus the fins falling off?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Clearish, white edges on the fins usually is a sign of regrowth on the fins.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #5 
Spinny

Thanks :) When it was first brought home it was smooth white ends, no jagged look, does it mean it's still growing out or the new frowning fins are broken?
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #6 
Spinny

Hoping you're right that it's fin regrowth :) I've never experienced this before, so excited to see how long the fins will grow up too XD
Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's still labeled as a DT and he's very young. He's most likely a HMDTPK (halfmoon double tail plakat) in which his fins will stay short. But yes there's no fin rot here, keep his water clean and he'll heal up any little tear's for sure what kind of food are you feeding him?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #8 
Spinny

Wow how do you tell if he is young or old? I never know any of the ages of my bettas, cause the pet store I buy them from never know. hahaha I feed Hikari bio gold pellets, JBL betta flakes, occasional king fly maggots cut in to tiny pieces with the sharp tail removed, Atvitol vitamin, Bettas betta food, Ocean Free Super High Growth& Spirulina and occasional krill, daphnia rarely cause the pet shop that sells that is an hour and a half drive away, will cull some this holiday so I won't have to keep going :) I have been hunting high and low for New Life Spectrum or Omega One but here that's all the pet shop sells, and my mum isn't keen on buying of the internet in case of scam.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The look in their face, body size and fin size. Sometimes it's harder to tell but I guess I just have an eye for it.

Maybe you can ask her just once to buy something off Amazon or whatever for Christmas or whatever holiday you may celebrate? That would be something easy at least for her to get and maybe she'll make the exception once

The Ocean Free Super High Growth & Spirulina...that sounds like it's for marine fish. Correct me if I'm wrong though. If it is, I would stop feeding it. What's the first three ingredients for the JBL Betta Flakes? Variety is always good but if you're just throwing in low quality pellet/flake food then it's not really a good way to go. If you happened to be able to get NLS or Omega, then I would stop with the JBL and Hikari (Hikari used to be good, they changed their formula though unfortunately) and just feed either the NLS or Omega since it's much healthier for your fish

He can eat all the live foods he wants though! That will help with his digestive issues And when you say he has trouble with his Swim Bladder, how bad is it? Just want to know in case I can help a little with that too.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #10 
Spinny

Wow lilnaugrim, Wished I could tell the age too :) it's great to know, thanks:D
The Ocean Free brand is for bettas, and the first three ingredients for the JBL betta flakes are fish, molluscs and crustaceans. I bought Hikari, JBL and Ocean Free because among the other brands in the pet shop here, these seem to be few of the best. Hikari changed formula when the new packaging came out right? The not cardboard one? If that's the case, I am having the old formula, I kinda stocked up when I heard there might be formula change (really hope I got this right, otherwise I have a huge load of not so great food *face palm*) I'll try my best to get the NLS or Omega One :)

About live foods I'm abit afraid of feeding too much, I had one who after eating live food, refused anything but live food, be it frozen or live, no pellets. My mum freaked out. She didn't quite like the idea of frozen blood worms in the fridge with the food we eat. I had to keep it in a container covered by multiple layers of plastic bag. After that I only feed life food to my other bettas 2times a month.

The swim bladder issue looks bad, he has the bump and a very very evident S shape. However when he swims he does not sink to the bottom all the time or stay at the surface 24/7 he swims just like any other betta without swim bladder disorder, just abit slanted to one side. :) he can go up and down with ease. Has been living like that from the beginning of November when I brought him home. When I found out he had SBD, I lowered the water so it would be easier. Instead he kept jumping, unhappy that I lowered it, I filled the water back up and he stopped. Is this normal for a fish with SBD? Cause this is the first time I've had a SBD fish that doesn't like lower water level hahaha :)