Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #1 
Chell

Angry Misery sure loves company

Hi there, newbie here

First things first: I just love this forum. It's been very very helpful.
Also I'm sorry in advance for the gigantic text bellow.

Ok, so here's the situation:
I kinda of "rescued" a betta when I was looking for a fish tank.

I wasn't going to buy one at THAT time, I was actually planning to plant the tank a little before adding fish, but oh well.

Tesla came home in a plastic bag filled with very disgusting water, so I rushed to put him in the tank. There I noticed minor fin rot. I had worked on the tank setup until very late, so treating it would have to wait (stores closed).

Today I woke up to see that my Tesla got one of his eyes slightly bloated.

I panicked a little, but I managed to buy the medicine and put him in a small betta bowl (it has only 1 liter...) for him to receive the medicine.

He seems very pissed, but i didn't wanted to put medicine with the plants around. Dunno If I am doing what's right though.

Anyway, while he was "away" I decided do a 50% water change in the tank, fiddle a little with the heater, and check the plants.

The plants had little black spots on them. One of them (forgot the name) was obviously dying so I threw it away. The other ( a Egeria densa) is still alive but I dunno if it'll make it. Cut the parts and leaves that were dead and put it back at the tank.

It's not the very first time I try to plant a tank, but it's certainly the first time It goes THIS wrong.

To summarize things:
Plants are dead/dying.
Betta is sick.
Tank water in apparent major chaos.

What can I do to stop making things get even worse???

The only good thing it's that Tesla still eats and is exploring his "quarantine bowl" like crazy.

PS: I couldn't find ammonia/nitrate tests anywhere. So I don't know how bad it really is. I do know that the water is not smelling awfully bad, the PH is 7,2 and the temperature inside the tank is around 75F right now.
Chell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #2 
Calmwaters

Did you add aquarium salt to his bowl? If not add some it will help him heal faster. As far as the plants I am not sure what could be going wrong, I have a planted tank but luckly have not had any problems with it but I had alot of help from a very smart person on the other fish section here. Maybe you could send him a pm. His name is Byron and he is great with plants. Good luck and I hope things turn around for you soon.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would also recommend pm'ing Byron. He knows just about everything about plants and other stuff, too!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

sounds like the plant problem could be black algae, but, like the others said, byron is the plant afficionado
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #5 
Chell

Thanks or the help, I'll try to pm him.

Anyway, today is day 2 of Tesla's medication (the bottle says it's 5 days of treatment). His eyes seem slightly bigger. The fin rot is also not healing (though at least it stopped) . I'm worried sick.

What most botters me It's that he is as joyful as ever, eating, swimming and flaring. I dunno, It seems weird given his conditions.

The plants, well, they are in very bad shape as usual. No news here.
I think one of the problems is with the lighting (and the algae who loves it) , since I leave home early (about 8AM-9AM) and get home very late (11PM).

I won't give up on Tesla just yet, I'll keep doing water changes in the tank and the "hospital bowl" and follow the treatment stricly.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #6 
Calmwaters

Could you get a timer for the lights on the tank? They are not very expensive and are great for the plants.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #7 
Jupiter

What type of medicine are you giving to him?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

oh my, thats way too long for the lights to be on. most people who have plants do 12 hors a day thats it or the algae takes over. id suggest a timer. i leave my lights on for 6 hours then off for 2 then back on for 2, and the algae stays at bay
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #9 
vaygirl

Yep, a timer works great. I had mine on a 12 hour when I went on vacation and it's so convenient, I haven't unhooked it. I have a planted 16 gallon.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #10 
Chell

Yes, I'll look for a timer, but for now it seems that my roomates (who arrives home a couple of hours earlier) will be working as light timers for the moment.

The medicine I'm using it's called Atlantys Bactericide & Fungicide.
It contains Sulfalamide, methylene blue and formaldehyde.

But hey, I've noticed Tesla is getting a bit sad, and I feel kind of bad in leaving him in such a small bowl. As he lives alone (besides the plants), is it bad for me to administer the medicine inside his own tank?