Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1 
alinakei

Betta is sick? Unsure of cause/what to do

I've had my betta Ruffles for a little over 2 years now. Suddenly he stopped eating about 3 weeks ago. I haven't seen him eat but he doesn't seem to be getting any skinnier... He seems to be a little bloated and is pretty lethargic, just floats around using his front fins only and never flares. Recently he seemed to have a little bit of swim bladder problems but those seem to have subsided. I don't want him to die a slow, horrible death by starving but I'm not sure if he's at a point where I should put him down. Help? Opinions?
Here are some pictures of him, if it helps. Sorry, the flash made his eyes look crazy.

alinakei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

His fins are clamped... It may be bad constipation which I don't know much about although I've heard of people using peas and daphnia, betta can supposedly go 2 weeks without food but it makes them really weak, maybe try feeding dried bloodworms or brine shrimp?
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #3 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Also his stomach is swollen so wereyou maybe over feeding him before?
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

If he's constipated then I'd let him go a few days without eating then offer him some freeze dried or frozen daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #5 
alinakei

I've started treating him as if he's simply constipated/bloated with salt baths and such. Moved him back into a smaller tank (he shares a split 5g) and he already seems happier (don't know if it's the salts or if he possibly just likes smaller tanks?) He's stopped clamping his fins and I actually got him to flare (something he's stopped doing). I'll try fasting him longer in between feedings as well.

Also, I tried the dried bloodworms last week and he showed no interest. He hasn't been reacting or even looking at his food, so I'm kinda anxious about how trying to get him to take other foods will go. Maybe since he's showing some signs of improvement he'll be interested

Last edited by alinakei; 12-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #6 
alinakei

Update: I believe he has internal parasites of some sort. Upon cleaning his tank I found some odd waste from him that seems to fit every description of a betta having them. Going to buy some treatment for him today and see how it goes.

Tags
betta, bloat, sick, starvation