Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #1 
Kiara1125

Lots of changes, a harsh move, and a lot of losses

Hello all; I moved from Northwestern Indiana to Central Florida 12 days ago. I was making the jump from home life to living with my boyfriend of 2 years. After cutting down on the fishkeeping in preparation for the move, I had a total of 17 fish left to move. On the day of packaging, I was in such a rush that I had to save the box by giving one of my bettas (who was in a leaking bag along with an oto) to my friend. Hopefully he is doing well, since I never checked in. Anyway, that's Synapse -- an orange VT.

I got up at 5:45 am just to arrive at the airport at 10:34 am. I sat there waiting for my flight until 2:19 pm. After the 2 hour long flight that covered 1,293 miles between my past and my future, I arrived at my new home. I had a great night filled with a cookout and a new welcoming family. When I woke up the next day, I was excited for the package. Instead, I got a note saying that I needed to walk up to the Post Office since the box had been damaged. I had breather bags and thought that one had popped, but no. It was the bag that carried my filter media in which I was going to reuse. The man told me that, even though the box was damaged, the fish were fine. Sure ...

I was an idiot. I forgot to put in the heat packs. During the rush and the buzz, it had slipped my mind. It was 13F when I shipped out my fish. Sure, they were coming to 70+F weather, but it was too late. Since Syn's bag was leaking, him and the oto survived. Unfortunately, it was not the same fate for my tropicals. My 5 goldfish were alive and well. A bit wore out from the move, but alright in the end. My 3 female bettas and 2 males died, along with my 2 platies, molly, three-line cory, and angelfish. My angelfish ... Echo ... I had him since he was the size of a dime. He was so sweet and never ate any platy fry or picked on anyone. He was the size of my fist when I shipped him -- body wise I mean. His fins were so long and perfect, not a single tear or nip. He was gorgeous and the first angel I ever had. It was my fault that they all died.

Dustin was a male copper red wash butterfly HMDTPK. Patriot was a male blue cambodian VT. Traditional was a female traditional betta colored combtail. Then I had two new girls that I never got to name, so tiny and young. Both marble cambodians, an orange butterfly CT and a blue/purple VT. I miss them all so much.

I am very happy where I am now, but it's complicated. Now I'm moving back up North with my boyfriend for 6 months, then moving back down. We're not bringing the fish, so his family is going to take care of them. It's so stressful and heartbreaking. 6 months without fish? 6?! I don't think I can survive. xD

Here's the fish in the following order: Patriot, Dustin, Synapse, Echo, and Traditional. I don't have any pictures of the new girls, but you can see the orange cambodian in one picture of Echo -- along with Traditional. Rest in peace guys ... <3

I think I'll miss you most of all Echo. <3 <3

**Don't worry about the goldfish being in the tank with the tropicals. It was a temporary arrangement and everyone was fine.**
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm so sorry for your losses. Moving is so stressful! I just went through it myself and had to give up 8 fish. I couldn't take them with me and it feels as if they died. I'm glad that some of them made it and at least you have them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 
countyrd419

Welcome Kiara1125 to warmer than normal Central Florida. Don't get used to this balmy 80's weather we are having. It does get cool down here; well sort of our type of winter.

Anyway, I live in Oviedo, FL (part of the Orlando metro area)

I feel so sorry for your loss :(
May all your fish SIP.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #4 
Kiara1125

Thanks you both. It was rough with everything, but now I'm still concerned about the fish. I'm worried about how they will fair with both of us being gone for 6 months. Ugh ...

I appreciate the welcome! After walking for 3 hours today in the 80F weather with no shade or water, I'm dead. xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I know the feeling. I drove from Alaska to New York in wintertime in 2012 with 23 bettas, 1 chinchilla and 1 dog. 2 of the bettas made it alive and only 1 is still with me. Even with heat packs, they froze in the backseat
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do even if things don't work out. You hope for the best but things don't always work out the way we want.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #7 
Aquatail

I'm so sorry about your fish. SIP.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote