Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #1 
gahcrazy

first female, but when shes at the top ...

O.k. I got 4 boys and and decided to buy a female, (smaller than a cig. butt, white with red fins, really cool looking. and cute) anyhow before i got her out of the store i notice that when she stopped swimming at the top she sort of goes sideway!? I knew i was taking a chance bringing her home, but... U know.. Alll the bettas were in blue water (meds?) so when i got her home i diluted her water added bettamix and said a little prayer. When shes swimming around she seem fine. Is that normal for a female ? I know that last question sounds stupid but ...tnks
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #2 
CodeRed

She sounds like my Shani, in all ways, even the sideways part. It sounds like SBD, or swim bladder disorder. It happens when they're overfed, usually. Fasting will help, and if it doesn't do the trick I would try to find some frozen Daphnia and feed that to her. If it doesn't work, I would resort to a pea, but ONLY if daphnia doesn't work. Bettas are carnivores, so peas aren't good for them.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #3 
gahcrazy

it's good to hear that the sideways thing might not be an issue, still kinda freaky. i'll try the fasting thing, see what happens, then the rest if it become ness. tnks
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #4 
CodeRed

Well, the sideways part is part of SBD, which my girl has. It can be dangerous, though it usually isn't. If a fish dies from SBD, it's usually because they can't reach the surface. If your girl is struggling too much, I would lower the tank's water halfway, so it isn't so hard to reach the surface.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #5 
gahcrazy

well tnks for the advise. I went home and seems that whatever was going on corrected itself . maybe the meds or the shock of being moved, dont know but the sideways thing has stopped. so tnks and wish you well with shani. hope i wont need to try the other things you sugested but if i do i can always come back
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #6 
Krys

Sounds a lot like Swim Bladder Disorder.
Fast her.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #7 
gahcrazy

Smile

well, tnks for the advice, (Jewel) has been fine now since i first posted this thread. i fasted all my bettas yesterday just as a matter of habit. She seems to be comfortabe in her new surounding now and will be moving into a new home in a couple of days. btw both your bettas are look really nice