Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #11 
sandybottom
Reference Team

As far as chewing on plastic, I used holes that were small enough that I didn't think she'd be able to get her teeth at the edges to gnaw easily but I do intend to keep an eye and will upgrade her as necssary.

i should have been more specific i guess. rats can eat through plastic,wood,cement and certain metals. it does not matter if there are holes in the plastic or not. i am more concerned about air circulation though. rats can get really gnarly skin and respiratory problems from not getting enough circulation. aquariums have the same problem. i have a really good rat food recipe, if you want it pm me.

Last edited by sandybottom; 12-08-2013 at 01:20 PM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #12 
zombieaddict

I have a 20 gallon that I could have used but circulation was a concern for me too. So trust me, I put a /lot/ of holes in the tub. I made like four rows of holes spaced about 1 1/2" apart wrapping all the way around the tub and included larger holes in the top since they wouldn't be as easy to access and gnaw on. But the earlier mention of cutting the top to put mesh on it actually sounds like a really great idea too so I might have to try that out too! I'm not especially keen on a standard wire rodent cage because I know from experience that they tend to be extremely messy but I do plan to construct a modified wire cage in the foreseeable future that will offer the benefit of full ventilation with a protective barrier around the bottom to minimize on nastiness in the area around the cage.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #13 
Gizmothefreaky

What you can do is build the cage.coming up from the tub you already have him/her in... I would also get a buddy since rats are really.social. lol
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #14 
zombieaddict

Yeah, I'm all about making my own cages and pens. Cheaper and I have more control over it.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #15 
Elliriyanna

Can you get ahold of a friend for her and a rat manor or similar cage? Mine also LOVE Hammocks and willow tunnels. I have 4 girls. She is a very cute little girl.

You can even make her like a martins topper but the tank will need cleaned fairly often because of ammonia.
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #16 
zombieaddict

Oooooh, I like the idea of the martin's topper. I think something like that combined with a tub with holes for ventilation would be a good thing to work towards. I will see about getting her a friend. She currently has a mouse in there with her that my snake didn't eat this week but that's only temporary.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #17 
Gizmothefreaky

Rats will kill mice, I've seen it happen... Funny enough though, they will take in and raise/nurse mouse kittens... Had a mouse abandon her litter after they stayed to geta little bigger, so I tucked them in with one of my momma rats that had just hada liter, she started nursing right away. It was adorable.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #18 
zombieaddict

These two seem to be doing alright at the moment. It could be because the rat is female and the mouse is still just a little hopper. So maybe that's why?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #19 
Gizmothefreaky

Maybe, but I wouldn't leave them together long, you may wake up to a mess. Or you may not. Lol there is no telling.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #20 
zombieaddict

Thanks for the advice! I have been keeping an eye(and an ear) out for any signs of aggression or distress. But in a couple of days, the mouse is going to be dinner anyway. In the future I'll store any "leftovers" separately though.

Tags
diy, feeder, rat, rescue