betta fish

Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #21 
Gizmothefreaky

Lol that's horrible and I shouldn't laugh... but Omg leftovers... xD
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #22 
zombieaddict

I know, I'm horrible. XD

As an update, I've noticed that Whitey licks my palms a lot. I assume it's to get salt from my skin. So that means I should get her a mineral lick, right?

Also, I thiiiink she might be pregnant. I'm pretty sure she's more than five weeks old and I've read that they can start breeding as young as that. I actually noticed when I first brought her home that she was a little pudgy and it seems like her belly really is quite plump. Maybe she was just well fed but that seems a lot less likely than preggers for poor little rattie raised for feeding.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #23 
RainbowhLizzie

Baby ratties could just be fat. I remember my little girl was really plump for the first few weeks after I got her. She was housed with her brother and they were both 8 weeks old. I was terrified of her giving birth so small but she got skinnier as she matured.
Fingers crossed that this is a same situation for you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
RainbowhLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #24 
JellOh

Hey, you really should be feeding your snake frozen mice. They are just as good nutritionally and it's more humane for the mice. Plus, with live food you run the risk of the mice biting and hurting your poor snake. It's a win win situation both ways.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #25 
CochinBrahmaLover

I love my rats. Very cute sweeties! I remembered we got 2, and my siswanted a Boy, and I wanted a girl. So we got a girl and a boy, and for some reason my mom said we could leave them together for a few weeks. Well this was like a 6 week old girl with a 12 week boy... Yeeaaahhh not the best idea. Few weeks later we had babies! Cute but ugly, lol.

If you want, you can start your own breeding program and stop buying them.
I know a bit ago, someone was selling a colony of mice. They used storage bins w/ mesh for the lid, and they'd been using to support they're snakes. Probably be a lot more expensive, but would be pretty fun.

Also, JellOh, not all snakes will accept frozen. And if multiple snakes prefer live then its just more cost efficient to buy all live. Or Maybe she kills them before she feeds them (c02, cervical discolation). Don't be so quick to judge

Last edited by CochinBrahmaLover; 12-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
CochinBrahmaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #26 
sandybottom
Reference Team

life itself is pretty inhumane.i do not have snakes because i would not like feeding them.other than that, i love snakes. i do not think that their natural hunting abilities should be quashed.keeping a snake mentally stimulated is always better for the snake.hunting and killing its own food is part of its natural design. sometimes lunch is going to fight back,that is a given. a lot of animals are already kept in unnatural surroundings,must we suck every bit of nature and instinct out of them? i also happen to love small furry creatures,but this does not preclude them from being part of the food chain. just my 2 cents worth.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #27 
zombieaddict

Thank you sandybottom and Cochin! You explained it very well.

Also there's the fact that dealing with frozen rodents is downright nasty. If you don't thaw them just right, they will literally explode when your snake strikes them. Clean up stinking mouse guts a half dozen times or so and you might not be so keen to deal with the thawing process.

Plus with ball pythons being picky eaters, if one of them decides to skip a meal or takes a few hours to get around to eating, I don't have to worry about a thawed mouse getting all funky in the meantime. I can put the mouse back in the keeper bin I made and try again in a couple of days. When I used frozen, it was a lot more expensive and they were a lot less likely to eat it. They clearly prefer live feeders and I watch closely when I feed them to make sure things don't get wrong. Mice usually aren't the issue though, rats are the more aggressive feeders but if there was a problem, the cervical dislocation is the route that I would use to provide my sweet and slitheries a fresh harmless meal.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #28 
JellOh

Many of you guys aren't looking at the poor mice's perspective. Yes, he is going to have to die, that's a fact of life, but almost anything/anyone would rather die after being nocked out then killed by CO2 than suffocating before being eaten alive. There's more then one side of the story to feeding any animal.

@CochinBrahmaLover- She only mentioned, one snake and it seems to me that she does in fact give the live prey to her snake. Also, breeding colonies are very expensive and hard to keep up with, so it wouldn't be worth it to have one just for one snake.

@sandybottom- Just because life isn't humane doesn't me you should willing make a bad situation worse. Adding fuel to a fire then saying "the fire was already there so oh well" shouldn't be an acceptable view. A animal should get all the enrichment they need from their surroundings. Snakes need a proper terrarium and handling time to get adequate stimulation. Also, just because animals in the wild eat live food doesn't mean captive animals need to eat live food as well. We don't feed bettas exactly what they would eat in the wild. They are not living in the wild, and as such shouldn't be treated like a wild animal. Snakes in the wild do get hurt and killed from the live prey they eat, but those snakes aren't under the care and supervision of humans.

@zombieaddict- When you buy an animal you commit to providing the best care possible. Balls may be picky, but it's not impossible to feed them frozen food. If you were to buy in bulk or you could buy live and humanly euthanize them it would be the same amount of money or cheaper. It might be messy or gross but you have committed to your snake, and should provide him with the best care available. If the mice are exploding then it usually means that they weren't thawed out properly, so researching proper thawing methods could help massively. Mice might not be aggressive while waiting to be eaten, but some will fight back after the snake has gotten a hold of them. At that point there is nothing anyone could do to help the poor snake. Try reading this: http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_01.asp or any of the dozens of articles about feeding frozen mice vs raw mice. And here is a guide to thawing out mice: http://www.frozenfeeder.com/thawing_instructions.html
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #29 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i am not making a bad situation worse.at the most i was pointing out the circle of life. and the owners right to provide live food to their pet,when the pet has problems taking other foods.i think that i stated that i do not keep snakes,because i am not willing to feed them.there is obviously going to be a difference in opinion here.animal rights is always a touchy subject with a hazy line drawn. feeding goldfish to carnivorous fish and feeding live insects to lizards is not really any different.your betta splendens is a far cry from a wild fish.they would probably not survive in the wild,much like fancy goldfish.they are hundreds or even thousands of generations from their wild cousins.their bright coloring would make them vulnerable to predation.that being said,there are plenty of people keeping both splendens and wild varieties in biotopes,feeding them live foods to simulate wild surroundings.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #30 
CochinBrahmaLover

JellOh - you do make a lot of good points, but if someone wishes to do it one way vs another, it's unlikely to change them, esp when they like their ways very much. You have a good argument, though if one wishes do it another way, please respect that like we respect yours :)
CochinBrahmaLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, feeder, rat, rescue