Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

Dropsy Treatment

Hello. Need your wisdom once again. My coworker's fishy is sick and I need to know the proper treatment for it. We noticed him floating yesterday so we decided that he should fast for a few days. however I noticed mild pineconing this morning so I'm convinced that he's not just bloated.

He is about 2 years old now. My coworker used bettafix a few weeks ago after I pointed out that his fins are kind of messed up (crowntail but all clumped up and curled). I wonder if this stressed him out because he was fine for 2 years living in this tiny container that probably only contains about 2-3 pints of water. She told me she feeds him 4-5 pellets once a day. I don't know how frequently she changes the water.

Would salt baths be enough? Is there anything else she should do?
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

Dropsy is 100% fatal. The best thing to do (if it is dropsy) is to keep the betta as comfortable as possible until it passes.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with AngelicScars. There's nothing you can do but keep him comfortable.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #4 
bluebettafish

I'm not sure but it was starting to look serious because of the pine coning. Thank you...I will relay the message to my coworker. So sad.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

Dissolve some Epsom salt in a cup and slowly add it to his water (I add 1tsp per gallon, it helps with the swelling) and change his water every day. ): Also construct a tiny black paper box with some holes in it for air and place it over his tank. Sick fish prefer dark places, it will make him considerably less stressed out. Also, keep him warm and be very gentle with handling him (when I was treating my friend's fish Ryuk with Dropsy, I'd turn off the lights in my room so it was pretty dark when I did water changes).

If you want to try and treat him, you can try Maracyn-two, tetracycline or if you can find Kanacyn. I've heard of a few successful treatments with Kanacyn. And also, if he still can eat, try and find some antibiotic food.

And most importantly, even though some people argue that dropsy is not contagious, DON'T share equipment with other fish. Unless you know 100% what cause the dropsy, it could be a internal bacterial infection that caused it and you don't want to spread that contagious bacteria around.

): You'll also probably have to throw out anything that touched him afterward because it's too risky using it again even if you try and clean it (even bleaching which will kill almost all bacteria, does not always destroy everything).

Finally, if or when he passes away, DO NOT FLUSH HIM. Just because whatever he had could contribute to polluting the water. Burying him may have the same effect, or if an animal digs him up and eats him, the animal could get sick as well. But the safest thing to do would probably be to cremate him, but I don't know the process for that. So it may sound horrible, but it may be best to seal him in a ziplock and throw him in the garbage.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 11-02-2009 at 01:21 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #6 
bluebettafish

Thank you for all the info. I'm not sure at this point if it was dropsy because I hear he's not bloated anymore and is doing fine!? I had read somewhere that pineconing is definitely a sign of dropsy. I'll go check on him (he's my coworker's) and make sure he's ok. I gave her aquarium salt last week so hopefully that worked.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #7 
BakaMandy

Aquarium salt does also help reduce swelling. I've heard of stories of bettas recovering from dropsy on their own though, and I have heard of cases where betta fish have been so bloated that they have pineconed... ): so I hope he really wasn't sick at ll!
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

id also like to say that because his fins are curled its more than likely because theres not enough room for swimming well and that the water is not kept clean enough.

keep the water pristine and hopefully get him in a bigger container
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #9 
bluebettafish

I went to see him yesterday and he wasn't pineconing anymore (!!) but he was still a little bloated and floating at the top. He's not doing anything but the owner says that's normal for him. He really has no space to do anything since his container is so small!! I think she's looking into getting a bigger home for him. He does look better...he doesn't lean on one side as much as he did before.

Maybe I overreacted. My boyfriend in college had goldfish and it freaked me out when one of them had it. It gives me the chills...Thank you for the help, though.