Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 
LittleAzul

Exclamation Bloated stomach problem.

My betta Azul is very sick. :( He has a bloated stomach, which Im pretty sure is overfeeding him on accident. I accidentally skipped a day without feeding him a couple days ago so I fed him extra yesterday. That was a bad move on my part. I first noticed it when I put him in his tank after changing 50% of the water.

Ive heard many people use Epsom salt, but this is my first betta and I dont feel comfortable using that. Ive heard mixed things about the pea method too. My strategy so far is to fast him, thats it. Anyone else has some idea, that would be great.

Heres a link to what he looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/8PgXTgK.jpg
LittleAzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 
LittleAzul

Oh, one more thing. Hes still swimming around. So I know its not swim bladder and it cant be dropsy.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAzul View Post
My betta Azul is very sick. :( He has a bloated stomach, which Im pretty sure is overfeeding him on accident. I accidentally skipped a day without feeding him a couple days ago so I fed him extra yesterday. That was a bad move on my part. I first noticed it when I put him in his tank after changing 50% of the water.

Ive heard many people use Epsom salt, but this is my first betta and I dont feel comfortable using that. Ive heard mixed things about the pea method too. My strategy so far is to fast him, thats it. Anyone else has some idea, that would be great.

Heres a link to what he looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/8PgXTgK.jpg
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your fishie. Bettas can go 2 weeks without food and not get sick Fast him for 2 days and see what happens. Never feed bettas peas. Their digestive system is not made to work that. I almost lost a betta to the misconception of that theory.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #4 
LittleAzul

Ill try fasting him for a couple days and see what happen then. Can you tell me what I should do though in case it doesnt go away?

I also just looked at the food I give him, which is TetraBetta. It has soybean oil in it, I heard thats not good. Should I get a new food for him? What do you recommend in terms of food?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 
PetMania

Well, just make sure to keep the water at 80* if possible and do 50%-100% water changes everyday. If it doesn not go away, you may have to use epsom salts. They're a laxitive, so it really helps. You can start a thread asking how to treat with epsom.

I recommend getting New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One betta pellets. They are the most recommended by members here. I also feed mine Atison's Betta Food. Not sold anymore, I believe, so you will have to find it somewhere online.

Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #6 
LittleAzul

Okay, Ill look for those pellets.

Sadly I dont have a heater though. I wish I did. But I just cant afford it. Every heater Ive looked at is like $25-$30, which is way too expensive for me.

I am not comfortable with using epsom salts since he is my first betta. And I dont have a hospital tnak or anything else. Im so unprepared. :( But I can do water changes, see if it helps.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #7 
PetMania

Cold water can cause bloating. Try putting towels and blankets over his tank to keep the water warmer. Maybe you can ask for a heater for Christmas? It's a must for bettas.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8 
LittleAzul

I was thinking of going to a nearby small pet store to look for a mini heater, see if they have one affordable. I have a new tank on my list right now since he only lives in a 1 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Aquarium. It was all I can afford. I hat ebeing on such a tight budget. :(

I can definitely put a towel over it.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #9 
PetMania

Wish you the best
Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 
LittleAzul

Thank you Mania. :)