Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #11 
Aquatail

If fasting doesn't work and you're not comfortable with Epson salt, you could also try feeding him a little frozen daphnia. It has a laxative effect, like Epsom salt.

Have you looked online for heaters? I believe they are a little cheaper than in-store so it may be worth checking out.

Edit: Saw Aryia's post, and thought I'd chip in that I have used Epsom salt before.

Last edited by Aquatail; 12-07-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #12 
Aryia

How big is your aquarium? Some amazon heaters are having small price reductions right now.

50W for $18
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-50W-Subm...s=hydor+heater

The smaller heating pads are even cheaper, $8-12 but only work for up to 5G.

You can also try craigslist. I bought a bunch of 100W heaters for $5 each from a former betta keeper.

Fasting should solve the problem. If you notice him not pooping you can first try a mirror and get him to flare. Flaring makes them poop lol! If nothing works I will suggest Epsom salt, and I want to re-assure you that many many members on here have used it and they will all be nice enough to give you step by step instructions on how to do it.
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #13 
LittleAzul

@Aquatail I have been suggested dahpnia so I may try that too. I know that heaters can be cheaper online thats for sure. I have so little money thats being spent on food and not to mention the shopping season right now. But Ill have more money come in on the 20th.

@Aryia Thats a very good price for a heater. I havent been suggested a mirror yet, so I might try that.
LittleAzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #14 
LittleAzul

Update: I woke up this morning and I thought Azuls bloating might have gotten smaller. I couldnt tell for sure, but if it is, than the fasting is working. Gonna make a trip to the pet store today and see if I can find a mirror and some good food for him.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #15 
LittleAzul

Azul has gotten worse today instead. :( I tried the local petstore. But they suggested to feed him freeze dried bloodworms and an epsom salt treatment. They didnt have any Omega One or New Life food, just something called Zoo Med and HBH pellets.

Im very worried now. :(
Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #16 
Aryia

Is he pooping?
Old 12-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #17 
LittleAzul

Not from what Ive seen no. He may have, I just havent seen it.

Update: Nvm, he just did in his cup where I have him now. Doing a water change and getting him acclimated to the new water. But I just saw some in his cup. So he is.

Last edited by LittleAzul; 12-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #18 
LittleAzul

Pic Update: No improving results yet, can clearly the bloating. His water has just been changed and now getting him used to the new water.

http://i.imgur.com/RLxwbr6.jpg
Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #19 
Aryia

Hope he will improve. He definitely does look bloated, but I've seen Bettas recover pretty quickly from it.

Do watch out for raised scales, just in case it may be something else as a precaution.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #20 
LittleAzul

Yeah he doesnt have any raised scales. So I know it cant be dropsy. And hes still swimming so I dont think its swim bladder. But he is getting slower at his swimming.

Ill reintroduce him to his new water in a bit. If fasting him doesnt work, Im gonna have to use epsom salt.