Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #1 
sharon

heartbroken, firecraker is dead!

well, so much for my first betta! having got him 3 weeks ago, he developed fin rot, dont know why, water was perfect, no sharp things in there, no tank mates, rounded pebbles etc, so I was treating it and today did a 30% water change prior to which he was swimming around quite normally and eating, almost immediately he was belly up on the bottom, I have him in a net just now in case he makes a miraculous recovery but its 1/2 hour and I think thats it!!!!!!! It can only be shock but I am a experienced fish keeper so the change was gentle, water dechlorinated and right temp before being added etc,how did i manage to kill him? I would like to get another, In the short time i had him, I became very fond of his little ways, if he had another owner the chances are he would still be here, I want to avoid it happening again if it was something i did
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Firecracker! I doubty it was anything you did wrong. It sounds like he had a good home with good care. It may have been something internal that killed him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #3 
sharon

firecraker

thank you, Iv just got back from the LFS and he thinks that the 30% water change did it through shock,because it happened right away i tend to agree with him, he suggests 10% weekly will be better,I am used to 30-50% changes in my 60 gall tanks and I know a lot of you guys even do 100% changes in your betta tanks, Il be getting another on fri,it just shows that even though I have had fish for years we can all make stupid mistakes,I keep tearing up every time i make a coffee cause he would watch and wiggle
Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Smaller, like 2 gallons or less, uncycled tanks need 100% water changes but cycled ones just need changes according to the water parameters. I had a betta in a 4 gallon uncycled tank and I did 50% changes once a week and full changes once a month.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

im sorry for your loss, good luck with the new guy when you get him
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #6 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Smaller, like 2 gallons or less, uncycled tanks need 100% water changes but cycled ones just need changes according to the water parameters. I had a betta in a 4 gallon uncycled tank and I did 50% changes once a week and full changes once a month.
I agree, I think it depends on your tank size and if it is cycled or not.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #7 
sharon

well, my 4gall tank was fully cycled before I put firecraker in,the fin rot which was being treated was getting better and he was eating well and swimming normally before i did the 30% change,as I said the water was dechlorinated and temp was right, I did the change, put in a few bloodworm, turned to make a drink and when i turned back, he was dead, so I guess it could be nothing else, given the speed he went, than the water change,I have had fish for years and have lost maybe a handful in that time, in a 60gall tank, I am somewhat dubious about getting another,any ideas welcome, ps am running the tank with a few dithers(which will come out) in prep for my new fish next week

Last edited by sharon; 11-01-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

When I do water changes, I usually take my fish out of the tank, so that if there is any fluctuation in the water when I change it, it won't hurt them. When I put them back in, I float them in a cup. Half the time they're too eager to go back into their home and jump out... but I've never had an issue :)

Last edited by BakaMandy; 11-02-2009 at 01:22 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #9 
sharon

omg I know what killed Firecraker!!!!

I think I made the most stupid mistake you can,I think I put double the dose of fin rot med in, that would do it ,right,the minute the water (with it in) was added, he was belly up,I just re read the doseage, for some reason i added the dose for 38 liter not 15, I cannot believe I did that! PS going for a new one today

Last edited by sharon; 11-06-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry! We all make our share of mistakes. Good luck on your search for a new one.