Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #1 
La Reina

AAAHHH! Shredded fins!

My boy, Fish, has been very lethargic the past two days, and has also managed to shred his fins. He is a veil tale, and his fins were in good condition when I got him last weekend.

His fins are shredded, and his tale has holes in it. I took out his plastic plant last week so he wouldn't get hung up on it, and have moved his rock so he won't get caught after noticing the fin damage.

I started treating him with Bettafix last night. Does this sound like a disease? He is usually a very active fish and he's been spending a lot of time asleep on the bottom of his tank. Dad said he was sleeping on his side last night.
La Reina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #2 
Grant83

I would suggest a water change, and maybe add some freshwater aquarium salt.
Grant83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #3 
La Reina

I did about a 60% water change last night prior to adding meds. The bottle says to change the water after 7 days of treatment.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you are supposed to change the water during the 7 days of treatment. I didn't when I used it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

the salt can definately help too, use AQUARIUM salt though

sounds like hes blown a fin with pin holes in it.

this can be caused by: too small of a tank, constant flaring, struggling to swim in a tank with a high flow filter current

im not saying you caused this, he could have been bought this way

use the salt and the meds
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #6 
La Reina

He's perked up a bit now, I'm definately going to keep him on meds. I've never used the salt before, I think I'll try the meds first. Thanks for all the help!

As for the cause, I think he got hung up on the plastic plants I had in his tank, he got stuck once between it and the tank wall.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

u should take those plants out. also using aquarium salt is for everyday use, not just for illnesses. it provides electrolytes and minerals they need. its good for them
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #8 
La Reina

I took the plants out efore I noticed the damage to his fins.

The ends have turned a brownish color now, looks like a bacterial or fungal thing to me. I've upped his dose of meds from 1/2 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon
Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #9 
BakaMandy

If you don't see an improvement within a few days, use Maracyn-two+Maracyn in combination. What I usually do is fill a small cup with 20tsp of water, than add one pack of each medicine to the cup and let it dissolve. I than add 1 tsp to the hospital tank with the fish undergoing treatment once a day for 5 days. I also add a bit of bettafix/melafix to help promote fin regrowth. I use a turkey baster to suck up any poop or uneaten food that falls to the bottom of the tank as well to keep the water clear. After the 5 day treatment period, I do a 100% water with treated aged water and gently reintroduce him (making sure the water temperature is the same). If the finrot acts up again within those two days, I repeat the treatment.

But you have to be careful, because the longer your fish is exposed to medicine, the weaker his immunity to the disease becomes. So you'll have to preform water changes more frequently if you have to treat him for a long period of time (like Shota ): He has kept having relapses for months... so he's very prone to getting finrot...)

I'd like to test a product called Gel-Tek Ultra Gro VX which is supposed to strengthen their immune system, but it's pretty much unavailable in Canada, but if you can find it, I'd suggest you try it. I read some good reviews about the product.

It sounds like bacterial finrot, if it were fungal, you'd see a white cotton substance on his fins. Also, shredding is generally associated with bacterial, Fungal will eat away at your fish's fin in a consistent manner while bacterial will attack in random areas of their fins.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #10 
La Reina

The fins first appeared to have tiny holes in them, then proceeded to rip lengthwise. Now the bottom half is brown and he has whiteish spots over his bosy and small "swimming" fins. She's not moving much and isn't eating.

I'm really worried about the poor guy.