Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #1 
Effie

Question Ammonia burns or bacteria???

Hello, people that are wiser than me in the area of betta care, I have a couple questions for all of you.

After leaving my fish in the care of my roomate for the weekend, I came back and found that he has what looks like two scratches on both gills. It basically looks like the scales are gone, and it's red and nasty looking. These "scratches" are at the end of his gills and at the spot where they "flare" (for lack of better word).

There is nothing he could have scratched himself on and he acts like nothing is wrong. There has been no change in behavior whatsoever. After reading up and examining his gills, I've come to the conclusion that it's either bacteria or ammonia burns. Hopefully I'm right. So here's the question: I want to treat him for bacteria and give him a salt bath, but I want to know if it's ammonia burns will that do more harm than good? And what should I do to treat ammonia burns?
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
What are your water parameters? What test kit do you use? Any full tank shots? What about photos of the affected area? Please include photos as photos will help tremendously.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote