Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 
bethparkin

Worried About Betta

I've only had my betta for about 4 months and he is starting to act out of character. He floats near at the side of the bowl all the time at the surface of the water, just staying completely still. He only makes a few bubbles, compared to the large bubble nests he used to make. When I feed him he either ignores the food, or lunges at it and often misses, and rarely manages to eat it (he's never had problems eating his food before). He lives in a one gallon bowl - I know they should be in a larger tank but I also know that bettas can live very happily in bowls, and I'm currently on a student budget so getting a tank will not be easy. I've also noticed a lump on his side that I don't remember being there before, but there's a chance it was always there and I'm just being paranoid now because I'm worried. When he first starting acting like this I fasted him for 3 days and then fed him peas, but that had no effect. I've attached a picture of him from the top view. You can see the lump near his tail.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

bethparkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

The bulge near his tail is his swim bladder. It looks OK to me.

IMO, a 1 gal tank is OK, if you do frequent water changes. Changing out the water frequently is the only way to remove toxins, ammonia, wastes and bacteria that build up.

Do you know the temperature in the tank? Bettas are tropical fish, and need water in the range of 76-84F. If the water temperature is much lower than this, it will slow down their metabolism, and make them susceptible to illness.

If you don't have a thermometer in the tank, I recommend getting a "floating glass" one. These are available at Walmart, Petsmart, Petco, etc. They cost about $2 to $3.

Finally, the food that you feed is important. A betta's natural diet consists of insects, so they need a lot of protein.

Look at the label on your food container. If the ingredients contain a lot of grains/fillers (such as wheat, corn, soybean, gluten, potato, meal, etc), consider switching to a higher-protein pellet. A diet high in grains/fillers can cause constipation, bloating and buoyancy issues in some bettas.

On this forum, the two most often recommended foods are New Life Spectrum betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet. These provide good nutrition for them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 
bethparkin

Thank you so much for your advice! My house temperature is around 23 degrees but I don't know the water temperature. I'll get a thermometer soon. I feed him Aqueon Betta food. Have you heard anything about this brand and whether it is good food?
Attached Images

bethparkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #4 
Aryia

Looks ok to me, though it does not specify how much wheat/soy they use compared to their "whole fish meal". You want to go for food high in protein content as Bettas are carnivores.

Omega One and New Life Spectrum have worked well for a lot of people. You can also try to supplement with live food.
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Water temperature generally runs a little cooler than room temperature. So if your house is 23C (73F), then the water temp is probably around 22C (71-72F).

This is cool for Bettas. They are tropical fish, and generally do best at temperatures around 25-28C (77-82F). Cool water slows down their metabolism. This can lead to lethargy or digestion issues. It also can stress their immune system, which may eventually make them prone to health issues.

The Aqueon food is decent, but it contains a lot of grains/fillers, which can lead to constipation, bloating and/or buoyancy issues in some bettas. (Look at the label. There are a lot of things like: Wheat flour, wheat germ, corn, gluten, "meals," etc.)

If you can afford a new food, I highly recommend getting either New Life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Buffet.

I would not feed him peas. They contain a lot of fiber, but IMO, they won't help him.

I would try to give him three things:
a) Clean water. IMO, a 1 gal tank is fine, if you do frequent water changes.
b) Warm water. This will keep his metabolism at normal levels.
c) Good nutrition. For bettas, this means a high-protein diet.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote