Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #1 
gahooie

Hewitt Reginald Pinkerdinkerson and his new friends!

I just want to thank everyone whose given me advice on what sorts of fish to house with my betta. Today after work, I went out and bought one swordtail, one albino cory, and a silver molly. So far so good. I'm only curious as to where to draw the line. Hewitt doesn't really seem to mind the other fish but when one swims too close to him, he will sort of chase them away. At first, he was flaring up at the other fish but when he realized that they had no desire to fight I think he gave up. So now, there's no flaring but he does kinda chase them. Should I be separating him? It's not like he is catching the other fish. They are way too fast for him. Though I do understand that it could be stressing him out. And that would leave a very unhappy Hewitt Reginald. :< I don't want to seem like the only weirdo that's obsessed with her betta but he DID come first. If he doesn't get along with the other fish then I may be able to just take them back to the pet store or sell them. To be honest, the new fish I have are kinda lame. My betta at least swims over to say hi. =) He's a buddy! But the other fish are just swimming fools. Especially the cory. He's a dork and swims into everything with full speed!

I'd like to get more bettas but that would be expensive. I have like 3 fish bowls and cannot do anything with them because I know that bettas need filters and heaters. If no fish can survive in a fish bowl...What's the point of fish bowls?! It makes no sense!

Anywho, I'll keep everyone updated.
gahooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Give him some more time to adjust. Apart from that, you cory will need at least 3 others...they are shoaling fish.

If your tank is big enough for more fish, though, you could always return them and divide you tank up between a few more bettas.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #3 
gahooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Give him some more time to adjust. Apart from that, you cory will need at least 3 others...they are shoaling fish.

If your tank is big enough for more fish, though, you could always return them and divide you tank up between a few more bettas.
Oh I see! I have a 15 gallon tank so a few more corys is no problem. It's just that my betta is extremely territorial right now. I'll give it some more time as you say.

I'm kind of thinking about dividers now but my filter may be too powerful. What about the fish that's on the same side as the filter? =\
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #4 
vaygirl

Sometimes Tango chases my Emerald Corys. He can't catch them either. He doesn't do it all the time, just maybe once or twice a day. Usually it's when they're zipping past him. I'm never sure if he's chasing or joining. He's never bitten anyone.
I love my Corys. Since they are shoaling fish, you really get an appreciation for them when they're in a group and they zip around together. Very pretty to watch. And it takes them some time to learn that human = sinking pellets. Once they learn that, mine come right up to the front to their designated feeding area when they see me. Also, your Cory might be bumping into things and stressing because he's alone and trying to find a pal. They need friends or they're sad lil guys.

Congrats on starting the fish journey. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #5 
gahooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Sometimes Tango chases my Emerald Corys. He can't catch them either. He doesn't do it all the time, just maybe once or twice a day. Usually it's when they're zipping past him. I'm never sure if he's chasing or joining. He's never bitten anyone.
I love my Corys. Since they are shoaling fish, you really get an appreciation for them when they're in a group and they zip around together. Very pretty to watch. And it takes them some time to learn that human = sinking pellets. Once they learn that, mine come right up to the front to their designated feeding area when they see me. Also, your Cory might be bumping into things and stressing because he's alone and trying to find a pal. They need friends or they're sad lil guys.

Congrats on starting the fish journey. :D
Meep! =x I feel so mean now calling my cory a dork! Geez, pet stores sure don't educate new fish owners, huh? The guy never told me to keep them in little schools. I'll be sure to get him some fish mates very soon. (B

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #6 
Jupiter

That's why you have us! Haha. ;)

As for dividing your tanks, you can always create a filter baffle. Like this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

With a 15 gallon, you could split it up 5 times! 3 gallons for each betta.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #7 
vaygirl

No, they don't tell you enough really. But like Jupiter said, we all learn here. This is the best forum. Such a nice group.

Maybe you can name that Cory Dork! Don't worry about calling him that. Bettas are such interactive guys and such attention hogs (just TRY taking a pic of another fish in the tank, you'll have this big ole betta hogging the frame) that it's hard not to watch them all the time. But catfish are pretty neat too. Sometimes mine 'blink' which is SO cute. :P

I have three, which really is too few. I should have 6. But they didn't educate me either. My three seem fine. Emerald Corys aren't really Corys and I wasn't told that either. Or told that Emmies grow up to 3 inches. We could probably all write a book on what chain petstores DON'T tell ya! :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #8 
AlexXx

Like mentioned above, id get at least 2 more corys you could fit a bunch more into that 15 gal though! I deff suggest more, maybe of diff variety for different stuff to look at! Also, i suggest maybe getting a few tetra or minnows they are fun to watch swim around in schools. Also, you can totally keep betta in a bowl. If you are in a cooler climate, i would suggest a small heater, but a filter is not completely neccessary, but you have to make sure you do weekely cleanings of your bowls.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

good luck with your tank!

id divide it for more bettas myself lol
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #10 
gahooie

Thanks for everyone's advice! I'm actually thinking about dividing it up. The molly died the first day and the cory did so the following...I have no idea why. Maybe I should just stop buying fish at this pet store...The swordtail is doing fantastic though. But if he kicks the bucket I'm going for the dividers. I really don't like other fish, tbh =\ They're not as cool as bettas!