Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #1 
aggee99

New here, need help with water test readings

Hi everyone! I am very new to the betta community. I am so in love with my little guy and he has such a personality! I am trying so hard to do everything right.

I have a 5 gallon filtered tank with no plants. I have had him in there for 3 weeks now and the first week in a NEW tank I used seachem stability like the instructions said. I did a 25% water change the second week and added stability again with the change. The third week my strip tests were saying the nitrites were high...so I began to FREAK. I did a 20% water change two days in a row also adding the seachem stability.

Today, I bought a fancy shmancy API freshwater master test kit...here is what it read:

pH- A little darker than 7.6
Ammonia- about 1.0 ppm
Nitrite--probably about 5.0ppm
Nitrate-5.0 ppm

Should I do another 25% water change? I bought some seachem prime as well and read on their site that it could be used in conjunction with the seachem stability.

HELP! I just want to do everything right. This is so confusing for a new fish mom! I'm used to the furry kids! :)

I did read your stickys up top, but still feel dumb...or maybe haven't found the right one.

Thank you so much for any advice.
aggee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Need to keep the ammonia and nitrite under 1 ppm
You need to do a partial water change.
Just a very little bit of salt to prevent nitrite poisoning at this point

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 
aggee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
Just a very little bit of salt to prevent nitrite poisoning at this point

R
Ok, I will do another partial change. When you say salt (sorry if this is dumb, please humor me) do you mean like a pinch of regular salt? I only have kosher...
Old 12-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #4 
rickey
Banned

Kosher salt or rock salt is what you want (no Iodised salt)
1 teaspoon will good for 5 gallons is great a little goes a long way

R
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 
aggee99

Thank you so much for your response and help. Should I keep doing daily partial changes until it lowers?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 
rickey
Banned

The tank is cycling, so I would test every day or 2 and keep the ammonia and nitrite down with water changes when need. In the next few weeks you will see these numbers drop to 0

R
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 
aggee99

Ok, thank you SO much. I just worry! :)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #8 
kittenfish

Prime will help detoxify ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, though they will still show up on water tests. It can be used at up to 5 times the normal dose to keep levels down between water changes, but I think it's only active for a day or two. When I was cycling my tank I did partial water changes every 2-3 days and added extra Prime on the other days. My tank was cycled within two weeks, though the plants probably helped with that.
kittenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Use Prime (2-drops/gal) every day while your tank is cycling, and with every water change. More conservative keepers recommend you keep your ammonia and nitrie below 0.50ppm by doing 50% water changes (with Prime). In other words, change 50% of your water whenever ammonia or nitrite rise above 0.50ppm. That will be your water change schedule. After your ammonia and nitrite reach 0.0ppm, change 50% weekly for the life of the tank.

Stop using salt as soon as the ammonia and nitrite decrease to 0.0ppm. Don't worry about nitrate.

NOTE to experienced keepers of a conservative inclination. I recently cleaned and re-cycled a 3g tank. I again found ammonia readings between 0.0ppm and 0.25ppm hard to distinguish (residual ammonia and all). I realized the difficulty new keepers might experience trying to interpret these low readings. My ammonia conversion chart indicates that 0.50ppm @ 7.6pH is below the 0.020ppm danger cutoff for free ammonia. So from now on I'll be recommending a 50% water change at 0.50ppm ammonia and 0.50ppm nitrite.

Comments and criticism invited on this thread. We can move to another thread if we need to.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

There may be different opinions when it comes to using salt. As you will be keeping your nitrite low and under control with water changes, I think using salt is not necessary.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote