Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #1 
chrisb1221

Shrimp?

I'm really thinking about adding some Ghost Shrimp to Hector's 5g tank. Would they be very beneficial in helping keep the tank clean? Along with my Betta, could I possibly keep 2 instead of 1? Hector doesn't eat flakes so could I use those to feed the shrimp? Last question: My tank is currently not cycled and I've heard that Ghost Shrimp are incredibly sensitive to water peramiters, should I wait for the tank to cycle?

Thanks, and I'd love to hear some of your opinions.
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Wait for the tank to cycle. Ghost shrimp are gonna be your best bet. :) Only cost about 14 cents here. They are really cool, and they are scavengers, so they will eat un eaten food, and if you want, buy some algae wafers at the pet store, and they will snack on them. Good luck!! Oh! And your betta may or may not eat the shrimp. So, don't buy the expensive ones!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #3 
doggyhog

Oh! And you could add up to 5 ghost shrimp.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #4 
TigerLily

I personally really like the little ghost shrimp. I have only one in my five gallon, because I had been told before that these guys do better when they have their own space to scavenge. My boyfriend has noticed that when he divided his ten gallon tank and added other shrimp, that his ghost shrimp became a lot less active.

To feed mine, I picked up granule food instead of flakes. They sink pretty quickly compared to some other foods and the shrimp likes to pick up the pieces and carry them around.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #5 
La Reina

I have an unfiltered 1 gallon (I do a 50% water change every two days). Could I have a shrimp in mine?
La Reina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #6 
chrisb1221

I'm not a shrimp expert, but a 1g is just barely enough for a Betta. I really wouldn't add anything else until you get a larger, cycled tank. Even in a 1g the added bio load may be too much. From what I know and learned here, I wouldn't recommend adding any more animals into anything less than a 5g.

Edit: And on a side note, if you were able to keep a shrimp in something that small, your Betta may feel that the shrimp is invading it's territory and harass or even kill the shrimp.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

i agree with chrisb1221
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #8 
chrisb1221

I think I'll try the shrimp. They're really cute. My fiance really wants another ADF so I wonder if a combo of 1 or 2 shrimp, an ADF and Hector would be too much? In any case I'll start with one shrimp just to see if Hector will tolerate them. If not, at least it's something he can eat.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #9 
doggyhog

I think that would be fine. Shrimp have hardly ANY bio load, so that isn't a big worry. Just make sure they ALL have places to hide.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #10 
chrisb1221

How about a snail too? She really enjoys those too, and I like the help keeping the tank clean. =] What would you guys recommend using for shelter for the shrimp/frog? I've already got a cave like rock that my last ADF loved, and that Hector can't fit into

Last edited by chrisb1221; 11-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.