Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1 
Alphahelix

Betta fan finally makes it online!

IMG WARNING HOLY STRETCH PAGE BATMAN
(suggestions to make pics smaller??)
Hello!
Thanks to all who helped me with my betta in the health questions - my search for answers for him led me to this amazing world of online information!

I'm 24 in two weeks, a single mom working on my biology degree (biologist/zoologist at heart forever) and have kept fish/bettas for 10+ years now! Always petstore and never as many tanks as I have now haha. I am working towards teaching 7th grade science and fish are amazing examples of ecosystems and biology. I've kept sugar gliders, bearded dragons, birds, dogs, cats,random animals of every type(I worked in a petstore for 2+ years in the fish +small animal department and never had any big tanks because i KNEW how much work they are - got sucked in anyway) and my family is glad I've limited myself currently to just fish. I'd love to see Colorado get a chapter of the IBC out here and my goal is to eventually breed half moons and my own stock - my PhD will hopefully be working with fish/mice in genetics and breeding bettas fascinates me. I cannot do it now because I know to do it properly I need more room and resources :) SOMEDAY THOUGH
Totally a fan of fish genetics and such if you have any tips for finding the best stock let me know!

Now onto the KIDS:

Sorry for the horrible quality pics - I'm learning to take better ones!

Romeo, my double tail male who changes colors depending on the lighting. Some photos he is blue completely and in natural light with no camera he is bright teal and pink! He is super brave and not very aggressive. Loves to visit with me and his fins are what talked me into buying two more 20 gallons tanks last week so he could have more room!

Bronco(left) and Elmo (right)
Elmo is my oldest and biggest betta, he is macho and knows it and Bronco is fire and vineagar. They keep each other busy all day and if it doesn't calm down soon the divider will be changed to black. Bronco is my most responsive handled and is trained to follow a pencil tip/takes food from my hand.

Rameses- I have a thing for rescuing fish and he appeared to have a spina defect when I bought him. He couldn't swim properly and spent days at this wierd bent angle after I brought him home. Then suddenly one day was fine. He's been great ever since.

NO NAME
He needs a name badly as I've had him for months now. Nothing "fits" right and I'm not exactly sure what he is (double tail plakat is my guess)? Happy as a clam no matter what tank he is in!

Glitch, my special needs boy. I'm treating him for chronic SBD (he is not bloated at all, is not overfed and lists sideways from his backend first which is slightly swollen) he is happy and swims all day and rest there bhind the heater on and off. I love him and he is a double tail halfmoon :)

This is my first overseas betta and is coming tomorrow! I've decided to call him Kaiju and is an early self presented bday gift to me haha.

Barney isn't a betta but he is a dork and I love him anyway!

Sorry for the wall and biography geez but there you go!
I love to rescue special needs fish, DIY projects are my thing and I'm constantly spending ALL my spare money on fish stuff. All my tanks are upgrading to full live plants and its the best hobby I've ever had :)
Alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm from Colorado but live in Texas. :( Several people were working on getting a Colorado chapter of the IBC started but I guess it never got off the ground. A former member MrVampire lives in Aurora and was wanting to start it up.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #3 
JessicaCRS

Welcome to the forum Alphahelix!! Your fish are extremely beautiful, :D
Good luck on your school!!
JessicaCRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

It's nice to have you aboard. And we LOVE pics. so no apologies necessary :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #5 
Alphahelix

Thank you very much guys!

I'm loving this online community and learning TONS every time I log in:)
Alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahelix View Post

I'm loving this online community and learning TONS every time I log in:)
So am I and I've been around for years...... :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Not as long as me. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote