Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #1 
thegameksk

Looking for friends for my Bettas

Hi all. I am going to be moving my 2 male Bettas into a divided 10 gallon tank. What are some good tank mates I can get for them? Thanks.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #2 
La Reina

Seems like cories work well with bettas, but need to be in groups. I've had mine in with a snail before and it seemed to do fine.
La Reina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #3 
AlexXx

i think 3 corys on each side would be cool.
Mollys work well.... Rosey Red minnows, shrimp...there is a list in some other threads in this section.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #4 
thegameksk

Are they hard to take care of? I wouldnt mind shrimp but ive heard that sometime the Bettas eat them. My one Betta flares at everyone and everrything (including me), Do you think he would mind the creys?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Hmm....well in a divided 10, I think your options are pretty limited.. basically, your kind of stocking two 5 gallons here. I wouldn't go with corys, I think they need a little more room...a few shrimp on each side would be neat, but it depends on the betta whether they'd snack on them or not. I think ghost shrimp are pretty cheap, so you could always toss a few in there and see what happens. Some Ottos on each side would be okay, since there small, but I wouldn't go with those unless you have a serious algae problem. An ADF per side is another option, though I hear they're pretty hard to feed....

My Supernova flares at absolutely everything too, though its more of a 'Look at me! I'm over here!' sort of thing...however, if yours is more of an aggressive flare then he might be a little harder on tank mates.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I too had a betta that flared at everyone and everything. Now he shares his tank with 4 corys and 2 glass shrimp (16 gallon). It really depends. But like Dragon says it would be hard to divide the corys. They like buddies. So I agree, shrimp could work and they're cheap. Mine were 33c each. Tango tried going after Bertha, but she stood up and smacked him with all her feet. No trouble since. Make sure the shrimp have hidey places for molting and, well, hiding. They have spines which help with defense but I've read they're vunerable when molting.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote