Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #1 
Marke

New Betta Keeper! Please help get me started! Tanks, Water, Heaters etc.

Hey guys, I recently got a new betta (Elephant Ear) a few days ago from my wife, she also got one for my little cousin. She got us both one male, and the 1/2 Gallon Aqueon Starter kits. Right now the tank is cold, and I feel really bad, and want to get the perfect heater, but first I want to work on the tank and get a right heater for that. For the past few days I've been reading up and doing as much research as I can to help my little man do well, and has a long peaceful life that I can give him.

I've been to Petco looking at tanks and plants etc, but I could never choose or want to purchase something I would regret getting later down the road so I decided to go home and do more research, only thing that caught my eye was the Widescreen 13 Gal. Aqueon Tank kit they had for $39.99 on sale which had everything like the filter heater and everything I needed.

My point here is for some help, going from site to site picking up little things from each is not helping, and figured I go to people who know what they are talking about rather than Petco Employees.

Looking to make a community tank for my betta, but not sure what fish to put in, and how to introduce them, along with which tanks I would need, or even if my betta would be better off alone in a 5 Gal. Before I go out and get everything I need for my betta, I need some help listing out what I should get for my betta to have a good life.

Thanks in advance for the help
Marke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Congratulations on your new betta fish!!!!

39.99 is a great price for a tank and equipment! especially since the heater alone can run you $20+ at petco 7^___^

you will probably want to also invest in a test kit if possible, and do a fish in cycle with the betta before you get any more fish.

For water conditioner I recommend sachem prime (cheaper on amazon!). Pool filter sand is a cheap substrate option. Sand is also better for plants if you choose to do a planted tank in the future, make sure to rinse it out really well in a bucket before using it ^_^

you definitely are on the right track witth the heater, thermometer and bigger tank :)

don't forget get some decorations for your fish to hide in! detergent/vhemiccal free ceramic cups and terra-cotta pots with the hole blocked off work wonderfully :)

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 Aokashi. Good luck with your new guy and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #4 
Marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Congratulations on your new betta fish!!!!

39.99 is a great price for a tank and equipment! especially since the heater alone can run you $20+ at petco 7^___^

you will probably want to also invest in a test kit if possible, and do a fish in cycle with the betta before you get any more fish.

For water conditioner I recommend sachem prime (cheaper on amazon!). Pool filter sand is a cheap substrate option. Sand is also better for plants if you choose to do a planted tank in the future, make sure to rinse it out really well in a bucket before using it ^_^

you definitely are on the right track witth the heater, thermometer and bigger tank :)

don't forget get some decorations for your fish to hide in! detergent/vhemiccal free ceramic cups and terra-cotta pots with the hole blocked off work wonderfully :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

Thank you for the advice!

I had some questions on top of these, if you dont mind.

Would it be possible to use sand and gravel?

How do you feel about a 13 gal for a betta? Would that be to big?

also, I read that it would be better to establish the tank first with everything including the fish before adding in the betta.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #5 
mikeys betta fish

39.99 is definitely a great price for all that! Don't forget to get water conditioner as well. I believe the average amount for a betta is 3-5 gal, i may be wrong but i'm sure it's pretty close. A 13 gal would leave a betta delighted with all the room it has. Make sure the heater isn't broken or cheap and will heat up to a 13 gal tank. My heater cost about 26.99 for a 5 gal tank so a price like that seems kinda fishy to me.
mikeys betta fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #6 
Marke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeys betta fish View Post
39.99 is definitely a great price for all that! Don't forget to get water conditioner as well. I believe the average amount for a betta is 3-5 gal, i may be wrong but i'm sure it's pretty close. A 13 gal would leave a betta delighted with all the room it has. Make sure the heater isn't broken or cheap and will heat up to a 13 gal tank. My heater cost about 26.99 for a 5 gal tank so a price like that seems kinda fishy to me.
Defiantly, I think it might be aqueon brand since it's in a widescreen 13 gal tank kit. Because the 5 gal kit is 59.99 and the 13 gal kit is 39.99 both come with a heater. I will check again tomorrow and make sure it's good heater.

Still pretty undecided about what tank size I should get, I really would love to get some real plants and other fish in as well.

Anyone have experience with betta bulbs or any bulbs that grow live trees?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

While you're deciding, you need to change most of the water in the 1/2 gal every day. So you need a thermometer to match water temperature of the refill water and Prime conditioner with every water change.

As for which tank....let me put it this way --- nobody I know ever wished they'd gotten a smaller tank.

This is a must read:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...h-care-232570/

You'll need this when you start to cycle your large tank.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #8 
kman

13 gal is pretty huge for a betta. Some like the extra space, others, it makes nervous, and they start biting their own tails, among other symptoms. Make sure you give it plenty of places to hide! Personally, I probably wouldn't go over 5 gals unless you're planning to keep a lot of other fish in there, too.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #9 
sunlight

+1 what is the temp in the room he is in now?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #10 
FirstBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Defiantly, I think it might be aqueon brand since it's in a widescreen 13 gal tank kit. Because the 5 gal kit is 59.99 and the 13 gal kit is 39.99 both come with a heater. I will check again tomorrow and make sure it's good heater.

Still pretty undecided about what tank size I should get, I really would love to get some real plants and other fish in as well.

Anyone have experience with betta bulbs or any bulbs that grow live trees?
Almost forgot my manners WELCOME to the forum!!!

Don't know anything about betta bulbs.

Some other things to take into consideration are how to monitor the temp, doing water changes, how to keep the walls of the tank free of algae.

It all depends on your betta some like large tanks others not so much. Also some bettas will tolerate other fish in their tanks some won't. One of the things that probably should be avoided is fish with long flowing fins like fancy guppies.

Is the heater in the kit adjustable?

Just me, I found that after conditioning myself to become a better betta keeper the heater, filter, etc turn out to be inadequate. I ended getting another heater, etc.

Another accessory that Is important is a method of monitoring water params. ie. water testing kit, equipment etc/

Last edited by FirstBetta; 12-11-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Addition
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote