Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 
DerangedUnicorn

Cool I'm a THIEF!!!

Hello all,

So, yesterday I had to go grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. Of course, I had to stop & look at the fish section & see if there were any interesting decorations or tanks. I also looked over at the actual fish to see if they carried bettas. To my surprise, there were no bettas in cups, so I just went to look at the fish tanks & viola! There was a betta in one of the fish tanks. He was in a tank with a pleco that was rotting at the bottom. The pleco was at least double the size of the betta. There were no plants or decor for the betta to hide in, so it was hiding in the corner behind the dead pleco to get away from the huge current they had going on in the tank. He's gills were working pretty hard & I think that was because he had a hard time getting to the top for air with the current. Plus, there was probably a lot of icky stuff in the water from the pleco. It had been dead for a while. Then, I looked through the rest of the tanks to make sure that there were no other bettas. There were not, at least not live ones. There was one dead one floating around & around in a tank with a bunch of glofish.

Even though, with the passing of my Indigo, my bettas have come down to the manageable number of 4 (because that's all the tanks I have), I decided that I need to save this betta in with this dead pleco. I had recently taken all my bettas home from college during Thanksgiving break, but I still had fish food at my dorm & it was getting lonely not coming home from class to my fish. My boyfriend is going to kill him.

Anyway, I grabbed the cheapest heater, some water conditioner, a hidey-hole, a thermometer, & a 1.5 gallon pet keeper (that's the only size they had & I am absolutely broke, I really shouldn't have bought anything but food). I had some rocks in my dorm & a betta hammock I have added in as well.

Then, I couldn't find an employee near the fish department, so I went over to the electronics & asked some mouth-breathing kid to ask someone to come to the fish area. He did. I went back to wait. I waited 10 minutes & no one came, so I checked to see if the fish tanks were not locked. They weren't. I grabbed a fish bad & followed the instructions for getting the fish out for customers that was on the wall & proceeded to bag this poor betta. Once I got him in the bad, I put the bag into the pet kieeper I had. I finished my shopping & then went & through the self-checkout aisle & just scanned the pet keeper with the betta inside it. I stole this betta & got away with it! Serves them right, treating it that way. He would have been $7. Not much, but considering the conditions & that I'm broke anyways. As soon as I get my spare heater from home, I'm going to return this new heater & return the thermometer & get a new one. I don't need the new heater, so I'll get $15 back too & the thermometer is broken. I don't think the heater is working well anyways.

So, here he is. I named him Tie-Dye. He's a male crowntail. He's kinda purple & orange. I think he's very pretty. His personality hasn't come out yet. He did eat for me today though. Twice. Four pellets. He likes his betta hammock. Doesn't move around a lot, but will if I tap the tank. I hope he settles in soon.

Name:  IMG_0749.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0751.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0756.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0753.jpg
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0754.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0755.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0757.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #2 
riorider

He is really cute!
I have the same problem with bettas. I am also in a dorm and have 3 right now looking to get another.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #3 
Tree

What a Steal! Buahaha XD He is going to have a happy life with you. =)
Old 12-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't condone stealing but... I'm glad you took him. lol They didn't bother to send someone to help you out. It wasn't like you went there with the intention of stealing. lol He's going to be gorgeous when he gets all settled in his new home.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

He's actually a really gorgeous guy. Nice steal, lol.

Thief jokes aside, it's good someone like you found him and got him outta there. With the conditions he was in at the moment, who knows how much longer he'd have before Lady Grim snatched him up... or another person who didn't know what they were doing with the fish (ie. someone who doesn't know really how to care for bettas, thinks they're herbivores and whatever madness I've heard over the years...).
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #6 
jayr232

You should call it real rescue xD
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #7 
2muttz

I can't consider saving a life stealing.! Snatched from the jaws of death, more like... He's just lovely and looks very grateful.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #8 
DerangedUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
He is really cute!
I have the same problem with bettas. I am also in a dorm and have 3 right now looking to get another.
Yeah. I had a 10 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 3 gallon, & a 1 gallon hospital tank in my dorm. I live in a apartment dorm thing, but I have my own individual room that's like 7 x 12 feet, so it's tiny in here. But I took everyone home over Thanksgiving. Now, I have a 1.5 gallon with this new guy. Maybe I can get him a bigger tank over Christmas. We'll see. Good luck finding another betta. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
What a Steal! Buahaha XD He is going to have a happy life with you. =)
HA! That was so punny! Yeah. I hope he has a happy life with me. He seems more active today, so that's a good sign. But now he's not eating so well. I'm sure he's just getting used to his new home. He doesn't seem to be sick, so I got lucky there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I don't condone stealing but... I'm glad you took him. lol They didn't bother to send someone to help you out. It wasn't like you went there with the intention of stealing. lol He's going to be gorgeous when he gets all settled in his new home.
Yeah, stealing is not something I would suggest or something I normally do. lol. But it was late, I was hungry, had homework to do & I was in a bad mood. No one wanted to come help me, so I helped myself. Plus, he was in horrid conditions. So, I have my actions justifiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
He's actually a really gorgeous guy. Nice steal, lol.

Thief jokes aside, it's good someone like you found him and got him outta there. With the conditions he was in at the moment, who knows how much longer he'd have before Lady Grim snatched him up... or another person who didn't know what they were doing with the fish (ie. someone who doesn't know really how to care for bettas, thinks they're herbivores and whatever madness I've heard over the years...).
Yeah. I'm glad I got him too. I'm lucky. He doesn't seem to be very affected by his living conditions. I don't know how long he was there. The poor other betta obviously had suffered a worse fate. But this guy is safe now & will not be suffering from lack of care or the improper care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr232 View Post
You should call it real rescue xD
More like releasing a hostage! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muttz View Post
I can't consider saving a life stealing.! Snatched from the jaws of death, more like... He's just lovely and looks very grateful.
Yes! I'm glad you understand! It would have been much worse for me to leave him there.

****Also, I just noticed all the typos in my post. They're not a problem except for the one that says "My boyfriend is gonna kill him." I meant he's gonna kill me. My boyfriend would never hurt my fish. Just so you all know. lol.****
Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #9 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedUnicorn View Post
HA! That was so punny! Yeah. I hope he has a happy life with me. He seems more active today, so that's a good sign. But now he's not eating so well. I'm sure he's just getting used to his new home. He doesn't seem to be sick, so I got lucky there.

LOL,

Awww I so hope he eats soon for ya. D=
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #10 
DerangedUnicorn

Well, he ate a pellet tonight. Tried the second & spit it out, so I think that's better than nothing. I think he's still adjusting. Thanks for the well wishes. & thanks everyone for your support/saying he's pretty!
Closed Thread