Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #1 
SleepyRN

New... Need Some Quick Help

OK... just went to the store to try out a pack of Neon Tetras with my (what I think) fairly docile Betta all alone in a 10 gal tank... got distracted and ended up buying another male Betta- a crowntail this time (felt more sorry for him more than the Tetras).

He's tiny compared to the other Bettas I've seen at this particular store... actually all of the crowntails were tiny... they must have just been brought in- he's probably 1/3 the size of my veiltail (maybe 1'' maximum). Pretty little sucker if I do say so myself. Anyway...

I always keep my new Bettas in a 1 gallon glass bowl next to the couch so I can watch them for awhile, check them out, etc. This guy looked to be in OK shape in the store... the water was pretty roughed up and the container not quite clear...

Ends up he has a small fuzzy spot on his tail, kind of a yellowish color, almost white. From what I've read this is fin rot? He spends 5-7min on the bottom of the tank, gills flapping like crazy, then he'll dart around like mad for 3-4min and then flutter on the bottom for another 5-7. I know this is his first night, but normally they'll float at the surface, not the bottom and then warm up over the next 24 hours. He hasn't eaten anything. I just got done putting 1/2 teaspoon of [table] salt in his water to start some rudimentary therapy for his fin. What else can I do? I can't make it back to the pet store until Friday or Saturday.

Thanks in advance! I hope the little guy pulls through! They don't make intubation tubes in Betta size!

I made sure to put the dead Betta I found at the back of the shelf right in the middle of all the Betta food at eye level so people will see it I'll probably be back next week for another!
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #2 
SleepyRN

Has been on the bottom since I posted this... Just came up for a breath of air. Back at the bottom now...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #3 
SleepyRN

So, just keeping you updated (because I can ).. as you can tell it's been about 20min since my last post... he's been at the bottom, no breath for air. He moves his mouth constantly in a swallowing motion at about a rate of 50-60 a minute. Only motion was about 10 seconds of fast darting/hitting the glass (hard hits to)... then nothing.

On a higher note, Sake is looking at me like I'm the Devil because today is his "fasting day". I broke down and have been feeding him a flake or two every 10min and he's mean-mugging at me harder then every before, lol... good times on my night off!

Last edited by SleepyRN; 11-03-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

If it's white/yellowish it may be ich or velvet..fin rot is the fins deteriorating. Usually if it's fin rot the fins turn red/black then start to fall off. You might want to pick up some meds tomorrow. Lets hope he makes it through the night.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #5 
SleepyRN

Yeah... in the last couple of minutes he's laid out on the bottom, half leaning on the glass. Seems to be getting worse. He'll need to rough it at the very least for the next 20 hours before any help comes... that's why I tried a little salt for now...

Thanks for the response though. I'm just sitting here searching and watching my $7 friend dwindle... yikes!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #6 
okijapan

I'm sorry if I am seeing this to late, but if you lower the water level significantly he will have a better chance of getting to the surface.

Also here is a good site for diseases common to Betta's. http://ezinearticles.com/?Treatment-...ases&id=699175 and http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm and http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=719

Hope these help.
okijapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
I'd simply dose a teaspoon per gallon of table salt. This may help alleviate possible bacterial infection. Bacterial infections are very common but mild infections can be corrected by clean water alone. Severe finrot cases may need antibiotics although I do not believe there is a need for it on this one. It's not ich nor velvet to me.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #8 
Vikki81207

If you use table salt though you have to make sure its non iodized.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #9 
SleepyRN

Alright... so I got home today and the yellowish fuzzy stuff has spread to his side, head, and more of tail. He floats at the top of the water breathing with his tail pointed straight at the ground (like he's dangling). Changed his water and he didn't even fight/barely moved. Pretty disappointed at this whole situation. I should have known better by the condition all their other Bettas were in. This thing was beautiful too, I'd never seen another CT with his color before. I put more salt in his tank (ionized too... don't have anything else)- maybe it's causing more harm then good? Any last minute advice? If he can hang on for 1 more day I can get him some medicine, what's the best kind to buy for this sort of condition that PetsMart, PetLand, or Walmart would carry?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #10 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
If you use table salt though you have to make sure its non iodized.
Iodine is not really an issue. The concentration of iodine in table salt is far too low to harm a fish. What you do need to watch out for is table salt containing yellow prussiate (anti-caking agent). Exposure to sunlight (not your ordinary aquarium light tubes) can generate a toxic substance, hydrogen cyanide which may kill your fish. Check the labels.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote