Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #11 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyRN View Post
Alright... so I got home today and the yellowish fuzzy stuff has spread to his side, head, and more of tail. He floats at the top of the water breathing with his tail pointed straight at the ground (like he's dangling). Changed his water and he didn't even fight/barely moved. Pretty disappointed at this whole situation. I should have known better by the condition all their other Bettas were in. This thing was beautiful too, I'd never seen another CT with his color before. I put more salt in his tank (ionized too... don't have anything else)- maybe it's causing more harm then good? Any last minute advice? If he can hang on for 1 more day I can get him some medicine, what's the best kind to buy for this sort of condition that PetsMart, PetLand, or Walmart would carry?
How much salt was added so far? I'd simply do a 0.1% solution which is equivalent to a teaspoon per gallon although some bettas can tolerate to as much as 0.3%.

Do you have updated photos of the affected areas?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #12 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Iodine is not really an issue. The concentration of iodine in table salt is far too low to harm a fish. What you do need to watch out for is table salt containing yellow prussiate (anti-caking agent). Exposure to sunlight (not your ordinary aquarium light tubes) can generate a toxic substance, hydrogen cyanide which may kill your fish. Check the labels.
Now that is something I never knew - that is really interesting. Good thing to know.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #13 
SleepyRN

No pictures right now. I've added about 2 teaspoons so far (0.2%) over about a 18hr period. I've moved him from a 1gallon, to a half gallon, to now a drinking glass. He does not swim, fight, or anything, even if you touch him. He floats from the gravel to the surface and back down about once every 45 minutes. Just noticed when switching him the last time I had to kinda dump him out hard and he moved nothing but his mouth and right gill. He didn't attempt to get to the surface, he just waited to float up. Sad thing is he tries to blow bubbles for me when he floats at the surface. 28 hours and counting until I can get him some meds. I'll be checking this from my phone until then!

Last edited by SleepyRN; 11-05-2009 at 12:39 AM.
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #14 
SleepyRN

Well damn... woke up and checked on him and he was laying on the bottom on his side... flushed him at 0500.

I'll be going by PetsMart again after work to talk to them, see how the Bettas are doing now and consider getting another Betta there along with every medicine known to fishy-kind.

...just hope it's no precursor to how my patients will be today :O
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish! Good luck getting another one.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #16 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Was he actually dead when you found him laying on his side? You should not have flushed him if he was still alive.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #17 
ChristinaRoss

yikes, i hope he wasnt alive going down the toilet

well hopefully youll have better luck with the next one
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #18 
Kim

I read it as he was dead when he flushed him, but I could be wrong...I hope not.

I'm guessing either a fungal infection or columnaris. I'm so sorry that you lost him :( RIP little guy.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #19 
kelly528

That was a bacterial infection. Fungus doesn't spread that fast. The stress of acclimating totally knocks the wind out of their immune system. Better luck with the next one.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #20 
dr2b

I would have took him back to Petsmart. They give you a 14 day period of if they die you can exchange them.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote