Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #21 
ecoprincess

i would put him into some fresh water for now.

there might be things in table salt that can harm your betta worse then they could help him.

Did you check out that link with the diseases on them? Have you figure out what he has?

Last week my betta got really sick (swim bladder), and he has pulled thru with some TLC and aq. salts......don't give up!!! Theres still hope! :)
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 AM   #22 
SleepyRN

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for the late response!!

He was DEFINATELY dead when I flushed him. His entire body was covered in the yellowish fluffy mass. I didn't stab him in the side or take his vitals, but he didn't show any movement in, or out of the water.

I did not know that PetsMart had the 14 day period. I do now, when I went up there to tell them they said if I just brought the fish back they'd exchange it. She also told me that batch had something allll wrong with it, "When you pick this time, get the ones with blue water... the others have something wrong with them." Got another and he is fine so far although HE WON'T EAT? (it's been 3 days)... any ideas?
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #23 
Jupiter

The blue water is medicine they put to prevent diseases, which imo is just their lazy way out of not actually providing decent care or water changes for them.

Anyway, your new guy is probably still adjusting. They can go quite a while without eating when they first move in, don't worry.

And sorry about your previous guy!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

Not eating the first few days is normal. He's still adjusting to his new home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #25 
SleepyRN

I got him to eat part of a frozen pea today... then he went to eat a flake and spit it back out. I might go get a different food or splurge for some live brine shimp (I say splurge because the only place that carries them here charged $3/teaspoon!!)
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #26 
dr2b

Feeding bettas frozen peas is really not good for their digestive tract. It is better to use frozen or freeze dried daphnia.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #27 
SleepyRN

I didn't happen to pick up any frozen daphnia on my last grocery trip

Just doing a quick internet search, "Betta not eating" I found where other people were talking about this and tried it. I'll try to avoid from now on and go pick up some other types of food tomorrow (variety might be nice for my other Betta anyway).

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas like a variety of foods such as bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp, either frozen or freeze dried. Freeze dried should be rehydrated first before feeding.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #29 
SleepyRN

The problem is NO ONE sells that type of crap around here. We have PetsMart, PetLand, WalMart (all worthless for anything and everything), and one "Exotic Fish" place which apparently realizes they are the only one's around because they charge double or even triple what other places in larger cities do for most of there stuff- even little things like rocks, tanks, and especially fish...