Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #1 
chrisb1221

Thinking about planting.

Right now as far as plants go in my tank I have one very boring fake plant. It just looks boring and I'm sure Hector would love a real plant to rest on. I have one Betta and two (possibly adding more) Ghost Shrimp. The 5 gallon has a 25 watt incandescent light and because it's a Betta tank I'm not using an air stone. I'm not looking for anything that's really fancy, just something simple, easy to take care of, and that Hector will like. Is there anything I can keep under these conditions? If needed I'm willing to buy an air stone (if needed) or fertilizers.
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

I don't know anything about tank plants, but I do have a nice looking java fern that impossible to kill. It does alright with low light and I don't think it needs fertilizers. I've never added any and it looks great! If you get one, don't submerge the roots under the substrate. Just tie the plant onto a rock or something. Mine came with a terra cotta pot weight already attached to it.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #3 
chrisb1221

A Java Fern isn't aquatic? Hmm well I'm pretty much stuck with whatever Walmart sells anyway. There's no Petco/Petsmart here, or even a fish store for that matter. Basically anything I get for my tank has to come from the web or Walmart =\
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I got mine from aquariumplants.com. I also have a nice java fern. It's growing babies from under it's leaves. I also have a water wisteria, four leaf clover, and two anubias. I'm not plant savvy so I picked all beginner plants. In your small tank, the java fern would probably be nice.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb1221 View Post
A Java Fern isn't aquatic? Hmm well I'm pretty much stuck with whatever Walmart sells anyway. There's no Petco/Petsmart here, or even a fish store for that matter. Basically anything I get for my tank has to come from the web or Walmart =\
Oh, it is!
I meant that even a aquatic plant dummy, like me, could get one and not kill it x3
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #6 
chrisb1221

Oh, ok lol. I'll have to look into that. I might just have to make due with some silk plants until I can order some.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Hornwort is good. I have a 10g tank FULL of it. Java moss is really really hard to kill too!! Also, try a Marimo Moss Ball. Impossible to kill.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

i know bettas love wisteria as well, very easy to grow plant in just about any light conditions
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #9 
dr2b

Cryptocoryne is very hardy - very hard to kill it. I will say you should get a daylight spectrum CFL bulb if you are going to do plants. Incandescent bulbs aren't the best for plants. You also need to get the fertilizer for plants also. I have always had a lot of luck with any of the Amazon sword family or crypts. Pennywort is good also (along with what everybody else mentioned).
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #10 
iheartmyfishies

I have anubias which has been doing great in my crappy lighting system (like 7 watts). I know my WalMart sells aponogeton and water lily bulbs. I planted some aponogeton bulbs today actually. A few others have them and it's cool to grow your own plants from scratch and watch them grow.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote