Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #1 
Calmwaters

Angry Walmart...

Went today for my boss and there was this poor little male crown tail his water was yellow and full of poop he was barely breathing. I stopped a worker and said, "Would it be ok if I changed his water because if not he is going to die. The worker said,"Oh how awful poor little guy. The person that works in this department should take care of these fish better." To which I said,"Yes they should but they never do." Then he said go ahead and change it no one is looking. So I did. Luckly the water that came from the spout was the same temp he was in and they had water conditioner and stuff right there. Even had a measureing cup that I put him in so I could dump the dirty, nasty water out of his cup. I would have brought him home with me but my wallet was here at the office and I had no money with me. His body was curved I am not sure if that is from the nasty water or if it is an illness. If I go back and get him can I fix him with meds and clean water? I stood there a few minutes after I switched his water and he definatly perked up a little he was no longer laying completly sideways and was moveing a little.
Edit: Wanted to add he also has very bad fin rot hardly any finnage left.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #2 
Kim

Bent spine hmmm....can be gentic, also can be caused by SBD, or fish TB which is very rare. If I had to guess I'd probably say that it's a genetic defect in which case you wouldn't have to do anything. Tell us if you get the little guy! I always feel so bad leaving them there, but I just don't have the money or the time to rescue them all :(
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #3 
Calmwaters

I am pretty sure I will go get him my softy heart will not let him stay there. LOL If he makes it I will name him Mohammad Ali, or Rocky because he is a fighter.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #4 
Calmwaters

I am going today at lunch to get him if he made it through the night. Since the fin rot is so bad should I go ahead and treat with meds? I just don't think salt will be enough at this point?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #5 
AlexXx

so sad! :( there was green alge in all the cups at petco last time i went :(
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I saw another dead one today. At least it looked dead. It was laying on the bottom of the cup. The girl was changing the water today. She said they do it twice a week. It sure as heck doesn't look like it!! Some of them must get skipped over because their water looks sooo gross!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #7 
Puremuttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I saw another dead one today. At least it looked dead. It was laying on the bottom of the cup. The girl was changing the water today. She said they do it twice a week. It sure as heck doesn't look like it!! Some of them must get skipped over because their water looks sooo gross!!
I hate when I see a betta that looks dead, because even if he/she is still alive, you just know they're dying. :'(

The cups at Walmart were actually clean (maybe I caught them right after they did a cleaning?), but the ones across the street at Petco were completely filthy...

Is that backwards or what? :/
Puremuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #8 
gahooie

That's so awful! How does that employee keep his job??? His sales are physically dying x.x
gahooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I usually look through all the bettas but didn't get the chance today because I didn't have a lot of time and the girl was there getting ready to change the water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

if you do get him id definately treat with meds, maybe do a saltbath first for a little extra help, the poor lil guy

mohammed or rocky, too cute

i vote for rocky!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote