betta fish

Old 11-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I second Rocky! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #12 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
I third it!
Rocky,
awesome name :3
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #13 
paxt0n

I haven't seen any Bettas in cups that were too horrible at the Petco near me, but I think they must sell them like crazy. Apparently they get them once a week, but there were maybe 10 left about half-way through the week. Now they probably have nearly 100 of them. I just started stopping in there to visit the pets on my way home from work every day, so I'll have to see if they actually sell through that many in a week. Some (OK, well at least one, that I've seen) of the employees seem to actually pay attention to them. I was looking at the small selection that was left before their latest shipment, and an employee grabbed a "dead-looking" one off the shelf. I assumed she was going to throw it away, but when I stopped in the next day, it was sitting at the "desk" area by the fish aquariums and appeared to be getting better. I think they may have actually been monitoring/treating it!

RE: Wal-Mart

I haven't spent a penny there since this hit the news: http://bit.ly/2VMGO0 and I NEVER will again. They are a HORRIBLE company. The latest news I've heard is that they are requiring their employees to either get direct deposit or get a "pay card", if they don't have a bank account. Of course, this "pay card" has fees associated with it. So, the already grossly underpaid employees will have to pay fees to get their paycheck! I highly suggest keeping an eye on this site, for the latest nastiness from Wal-Mart: http://www.walmartwatch.com

Sorry for going so far off-topic, but anytime I even hear the name of that company mentioned, it makes me want to puke.
paxt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #14 
Calmwaters

I ended up getting him and another. I went by the office yesterday and Rocky is doing well but the other guy did not make it. : ( I tried but he was just to far gone. I took him back and let my oldest son pick out another he picked out a really neat colored VT he is what I would call a yellow color. I will post pics of him Tuesday my son named him Bob.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #15 
ChristinaRoss

oh im sorry he didnt make it

but i do wanna see a fish named bob LOL

i love it!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #16 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I just rescued one from walmart (don't puke paxt0n) his name is cobalt and he is aquabid quality! seriously! dual fin extentions and all!
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #17 
Elaina

UGGGHHH I just got back from walmart and the fish section was the worst I have EVER seen there. Every single tank had at least 5 dead fish floating in it, and I counted one that had 21 dead fish in it. All the betta cups had a ton of algae in them, and about 1/3 were dead or dying. As I was looking at the disaster another male customer came up with his son to look at the fish and was absolutely shocked and appalled at the conditions. He kept saying that he just wanted to buy them all and take them home to get the poor fish outta there. I went and complained to a cashier, and she was just like "Oh ok, I'll let someone know."
I am seriously pissed!
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #18 
SleepyRN

Went in search of some females the other night and went to a WalMart where about half of the Betta's water was so dirty you couldn't even see the fish. Screw asking permission, I started changing and cleaning right there. People walking by, never saw a worker... but I'm sure the cameras were on me. Spent 45 minutes doing this. They owe me at least $4.75 now...
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #19 
PetsGalore

Well if any of you are in Edmonton (Canada) for a trip/visit. I reccomend just even taking a look at how Pj's Pets in West Edmonton Mall cares for the bettas. Out of all the places ive seen their the best. All in decent sized containers not cups. Hooked up to the wall ( so no kids to mess around with them), rocks on the bottoms, lighting strip down the sides, so they get decent light. and i believe that how close the light is, is how the temp is pretty moderate too. Just to have a lighter point of conversation instead of speaking of all the bad.
PetsGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #20 
Gravemind123

My walmart doesn't have fish, but sadly the local pet store keeps the bettas in tiny little cages that attach to the sides of larger aquariums. The cages are like 1 inch wide, 4 inches long and 2 inches tall, way to small for any fish to live in. The little cages aren't even clean.

If I had the money and space I would go rescue more of them, but I have no space in my dorm and I can't afford another $50-60 to set up another tank.
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote