Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Heater is buzzing?

I'm using an unnamed (I think) 50 watt adjustable heater that came with my Top Fin 10 gallon Aquarium Starter Kit. I've only had it for a little over two months, and it still works, but I think it's making a buzzing sound? Every so often, I can hear it buzzing. My betta doesn't act differently when it buzzes, and it's been keeping the tank at a constant 82 degrees, which is what I want. It's still working fine, apparently, but it's buzzing. I'm a little concerned, but I'm not sure what to do.

Right now, my betta's in a 2 gallon planted jar. I'm at home, rather than in my dorm at college. His 5.5 gallon tank is there, which is what he's usually in with the heater. I'm going back to the dorm this Sunday to move everything back home for the end of the semester, so I won't have his bigger tank until then. I do have other heaters I can use, but none that can fit in his jar, otherwise I would have done something by now.

Do you think Petsmart would take the heater back and give me a new one? I might even have the receipt still, but I'm not sure. I was hoping they would just replace it with a new one.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #2 
Gallifrey

I'm pretty sure it'd be under manufacturer's warranty after the 30-day return period, which means Petsmart won't take it back. You'll have to contact and mail the defective heater back to the manufacturer for a replacement. The easier option would be to buy a new heater from a brand most trust, since you'll most likely have to pay for shipping the heater back to the manufacturer.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If the buzzing comes and goes in synch with your heater's pilot light, then it's your heater. I've had space heaters buzz; something to do with the heated wire under stress vibrating in harmony with the electrical current cycles (Hz).

It's not supposed to do that but, if it's heating OK, it's nothing to panic over.

See if Petsmart will replace it. But Gallifrey has the best advice: get a name brand heater you can trust.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote