Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #1 
samhughes543

first betta, 6 gallon tank

Hello I purchased a 6 gallon tank for a betta, the tank has been running for a few weeks and the water test readings are:

Amonia 0.25
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
PH 7.6

I have reserved a beautiful betta in a colour I have never seen before, I just couldn't leave the LFS without putting dibs on him
Would I be ok to pick him up tomorrow or is the tank not yet ready?

The tank has three lives plants a moss ball, sponge filter and a heater.
samhughes543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #2 
Laki

Hello and welcome!
Ideally you want to wait until ammonia is 0 and the nitrates too. Do a water change tonight with extra conditoner and do a reading. I am a strong advocate of blackwater, which is more a natural environment for bettas so you can buy blackwater extract to mimic that. It will lower your pH too, bettas like a lower pH. Sounds like your tap water might be too hard.

Tomorrow as long as you acclimate him slowly over a period of time he should be fine. But we want to know why your water is getting any readings at all.

Cannot wait for pics!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #3 
samhughes543

Ok so I've added some conditioner that lower ammonia and nitrates.
shall I do a water change now or in the morning? Would I be ok to fetch him tomorrow or shall I wait until next week? The shop are happy to keep him until the tank is ready.
samhughes543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #4 
Laki

Up to you and your readings. Do the water change tonight and check in the morning so things have a chance to settle down. I'm no expert on water chemistry by any means but I do know you want your readings to be 0 or as close to it as possible.

Prime water conditioner is supposed to be the best for stabilizing everything.

Basically, you should pick up the fish when you have an idea of the reliability of your tank with water changes. Like, if your water is really hard or high in chlorine/metals a water change can throw everything off dramatically.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 
CoolishPrune3

This might help...

A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

(edit: added another link)
Fishless Cycling - How to Start - A detailed guide from DrTim's Aquatics

Last edited by CoolishPrune3; 12-14-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added a link
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote