Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #1 
gahooie

Angry Pet stores and their horrible advice!

>_< Okay, I am an idiot for listening to them. I was at the pet store the other day and the man in the fish department was lecturing me on bettas and it seems like everyone has their own tips and advice on how to properly care for these cool creatures. Well, when I went in there, their bettas were all in separate fish bowls, not one was in a small plastic container so that made me feel a little more trustful. And the caretaker was really cool and had logical sounding advice...'cept it was, like, WRONG!

My main questions were fish that are compatible with bettas. I informed the guy that my betta is in a 15 gal. tank and by himself with a heater and filter. The guy told me that that was waaaay too much for him and the size of the tank could leave him stressed out because he has to work so hard to reach the surface for air and what not. It all made sense to me but I also have an air pump to help out with that =\ Anyway, he talked me into removing my betta from the tank and back into the bowl.

He was doing fine up until today when I started noticing ich on his body. His water was too cold obviously so I moved him back into the tank. Do I need medication to remove the ich actually? Or is the change in temperature taking care of it?

Now that he's back in his tank he is feeling much better I can see. He is swimming around, more energetic, and most importantly, warm. But what a jerk telling me that the betta would be fine in a regular bowl. I don't understand it. My aunt has a betta living in a vase and he's been alive for years and they leave their windows open and everything. And that thing has never been sick or died. It doesn't make sense to me! Ich was what killed my last betta and I felt so terrible and ignorant in what causes it. I'm not listening to pet store clerks anymore. They just want money. x.x he was like you should just keep bettas in bowls and use your tank to put more fish inside! Bahh...
gahooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #2 
Bettabubble3

thats not true!! mut maybe u should get a divider and put another betta in it :)
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

aw im sorry he got ick, you will definately need medication, it wont go away on its own.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 
Kim

So sorry that this happened :( Try the med called Quick Cure, it has worked well for me in the past.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I have my betta in a heated 16 gallon and he has NO trouble getting to the surface. He's not sick at all. He's been in there 2 months now and he's happy and healthy and amazing. Sorry about your guy. Good luck!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #6 
gahooie

Thanks, gang! After work today, I bought this stuff called Liquid Super Ick Cure and added the stuff to the tank. It's looking all blue and weird but...I hope Hewitt starts to feel better. He never goes in his house that I bought him and now that he's in there, I'm like OMG somethings wrong! And he's been in there all day. Hopefully, this medicine works fast for him. He's not feeling well at all. Seriously...LAST TIME I LISTEN TO A PET STORE!

You guys are great. -sniffs- Group hug!
gahooie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pet stores betta false