Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Exclamation Trying to figure this out... Betta + Mollies

Before you panic, I'm not putting them in where they can kill each other. xD

However, I have a bit of a problem. I've recently discovered that I'm in a bit of a fix - the owner of a pet store was a bit misleading when I bought the fish for my aquarium.

My setup right now is:

The betta (in my avatar :3) in his own tank,
and 3 mollies, a bristlenose pleco, a goldfish, and an African Dwarf Frog in a 10 gallon tank.

Mollies like salt. Goldfish and ADF do not. Rearrangement of living conditions is probably necessary to make sure nobody dies.

So. Would it be alright if I put a divider into the 10 gal and house the betta with the mollies, then move the ADF and the goldfish to a 3 gal?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Ahh, darn pet store people....why can't they just give proper advice? :/ Gah, so frustrating....

To start off, I understand you were missled(I was as well in the beginning....in fact, I'm sure almost everyone was at some point)....but, if you really ant all of them to be happy and healthy in the long term, your going to have to re home almost all of those fish or upgrade and buy a separate aquarium for your goldfish.

To start, your going to need at least a 20 gallon for your mollies unless they're balloon mollies, which tend to stay smaller, and all male. If you have females that they were kept with males or have both male and female mollies, you'll soon be overrun with babies. Trust me, I've kept mollies before, it doesn't like very long Also, all species, that I know of, apart from balloon mollies get to be at LEAST 4", and on top of ALL that they're big waste producers. So, you'll either have to re home them or start shopping for a 20+ gallon I'm afraid....

While the BN pleco is one of the smaller species, again, it will grow too large for a 10 gallon and, like all plecos, they produce a LOT of waste(or so I've been told, this is the one fish I don't know as much about). Personally I think you'd be better off just re homing him, though if your willing to upgrade, again, so a 20+ gallon then you could probably keep him....

The goldfish is the one you're probably definitely going to have to re home unless your attached enough to him to get him his own a 30+ gallon(Depending on the kind of goldfish he is, if hes once of those 'feeders' your better off finding someone who has a pond for him to live in....they can get well over a foot)and maybe a friend or two(I hear they're social, perhaps I'm wrong on that....). Goldfish should NEVER be kept with tropical fish, their needs are too drastically different for them to be compatible.

With all that said, onto the question. No, I wouldn't divide the 10 gallon for the betta and the mollies....thats a REALLY small space for ANY kind of mollie. With that said, I wouldn't put the betta with the mollies either....IME, mollies are pretty aggressive and I've heard one to many stories of them going after bettas fins.
Hopefully this has helped some, and I'm really sorry that you were missled....its so terrible what people will say just to make a few dollars off someone :/
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

AGH ;w; This is so awful.

I'll see if the pet store will take them back. The mollies really are adorable and have so much personality, I'll hate to get rid of them... I really want to keep the ADF, though. In your experience, do ADFs and bettas get along okay? I may move both of them to a four gallon.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #4 
DragonFish

I know, I'm very sorry D:

I love mollies as well, had them for some time, they really are fun fish...I was sad to see mine go as well, but the multiplied too quickly and overran my 50 gallon.
The ADF should be just fine with the betta :) Though I'd get him a friend, I hear they prefer pairs ;) The only danger should be if your betta decides he doesn't like the ADF(s) and goes after them. But, for the most part, I've always heard they get along pretty well. Don't keep them currently however, don't want to hassle with feeding them and whatnot...I hear they can be a pain
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

xD They ovverran a 50 GALLON?!!!
I'm glad I got all girls, then. Sheesh.

Well, I've decided that I'm going to try and keep the pleco, two ADFs, and the betta in a five-gallon tank together (if all goes well). The pleco will eventually outgrow it, but hopefully when that happens I'l be ready to take care of a larger tank.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Yup xDDD I think it took....just under a year? Lol, but they still totally overran the tank.....and if the females were kept with males, thats still a possibility. Theres a 99% chance they're already pregnant....and they can store sperm for months and have 3 or so batches of fry after breeding once.....then they'll probably give birth to some males...and I'm sure you get where this is going xDDD

O__O Eeeeeeek, VERY bad idea. Betta+two ADFs would be just fine in a 5 gallon, the pleco would be a HORRIBLE idea. Not only will he outgrow that very quickly and overstock the it with his large bio-load, but keeping him in such a confined space will cause heath issues. When you keep a fish in an aquarium thats too small for it, it stunts their bodies growth....but inside they continue to grow....which will cause major heath problems. Your definitely going to want to take him back too if you can't go 20 gallons or larger within the next month.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

;___; REALLY?!

Aww, I named him and EVERYTHING. And it's a CUTE name. And HE'S cute.
But oh well, I guess if it's really a bad idea, I'll take him back and let other people take better care of him. I wouldn't want him to suffer.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #8 
DragonFish

I'm really sorry D: I know this must be frustrating, but yes, it would probably be best for you to being him back :/
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

OK, I just put the frog in with the betta to see if they get along (thought it would be good for the frog if they could, my other tank has salt in it).... Freedy seems really apprehensive. He kind of stalks the frog and watches him, but he hasn't nipped at him or anything... maybe I should get them separate containers. Or is this normal for a first intro?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #10 
DragonFish

So long as hes not nipping or attacking, I wouldn't worry ;) Bettas are naturally inquisitive and curious fish, its normal for him to investigate his new 'friend' Just watch him closely for any signs of aggression and make sure the frog has his own little hideaway ;)