Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #1 
Lethbridge

Breeding Begins

Hello, i was searching on the web about breeding bettas and i came across this website so i decided to join, i have kept fish for many years and i have had many tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 150 gallons, i currently have a 55g planted seamless bowfront aquarium, and a 10 gallon aquarium which i cycled and am going to use to breed bettas. So in this thread i am going to keep track of my betta breeding experience. First i just want you to know that this is my first time breeding bettas and i suspect i need alot of help along the way. First things first ill let you know about my betta tank.
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #2 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
okay, lets have the first test, how much reacerch have you had? I'm going to breed in the end of nov. early dec. it's good that you're breeding, but there isn't room for mistakes, Sorry that I might be coming out a little strong, but you have to be very educated. try reading over dramaqueens post called Breeding betta fish, and read other succsessful atemps if you have, consider yourself ready (:

again, sorry if I am coming on a little srong, but the life of your fish is on the line here.

and I am glad that you're breeding!(:

also, you need to be able to have the room, money, and time to do this.

so again let me ask you are you truly ready?
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #3 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Oh, and welcome to the fourm! (:
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #4 
Lethbridge

I have a 10 gallon aquarium that is split down the middle with a tank divider. on each side of the divider i have some java fern placed to block the view to the other side. At the back of the tank i have two breeding traps one on each side. The Temp is 82 degrees. I have a sponge filter that has a sponge one each side of the divider. What i am doing here is i am trying to breed two bettas in one aquarium. I have been conditioning both the females and the males for a while now. The one betta is now starting to make a big bubble nest while the other one is not, i am planning to add the females to the tank tomorrow so the males can see the females and i am hoping that the other betta will make a bubble nest and the one that has already made one will make his bigger. I will post some pictures so you can see what i mean and if this will work.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #5 
Lethbridge

i have been doing alot of research and i have read many accounts of breeding as well as all the different views people have on breeding bettas, i have experience breeding fish from guppies, to angels, corydoras and more. I have wanted to breed bettas for a long time and i though now was as good as ever to do it. Nothing is too strong and i like to be challenged because i myself know quite a bit about fish and their habits so feel free.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #6 
k stiles

every thing looks great, but are you going to merge the fry, because 5 gallons for 10-100 fry will not suffice, but everything sounds great. one more thing, are you going to add the female in a canning jar, so the male can check her out?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #7 
Lethbridge

Also i know you shouldn't have gravel in a tank but my aspect on things is that the strong will live and the disformed will die off i know not alot of people like to hear this but i want a betta line to become strong and stay strong and not have bad genes in a line.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #8 
k stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethbridge View Post
i have been doing alot of research and i have read many accounts of breeding as well as all the different views people have on breeding bettas, i have experience breeding fish from guppies, to angels, corydoras and more. I have wanted to breed bettas for a long time and i though now was as good as ever to do it. Nothing is too strong and i like to be challenged because i myself know quite a bit about fish and their habits so feel free.
I feel the same way about a challenge
Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #9 
k stiles

a good challenge at that!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #10 
Lethbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by k stiles View Post
every thing looks great, but are you going to merge the fry, because 5 gallons for 10-100 fry will not suffice, but everything sounds great. one more thing, are you going to add the female in a canning jar, so the male can check her out?
I am going to condition both males and females and i am going to attempt to breed both sets at a time if this does not occur i am going to remove the set that does not breed and move it to my planted aquarium. Thus opening the entire tank for the fry. Also take a look at the pictures and in the back you will see a clear plastic breeding trap in the back of each side, there is where i will put the females when i introduce them to the tank.