betta fish

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #131 
ChristinaRoss

wow thats alotta babies

good luck when u try kstiles
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #132 
Lethbridge

Thanks. And no i did not cycle my tank but im not saying you shouldnt the reason i didnt cycle my tank is because i put alot of live plants in and they will make sure that i have a "silent cycle" so i wont see any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates at all. I set up my tank add alot of plants and then add the male that i plan to breed to the tank and he stays in that tank till i add the female and the little waste he does produce is filtered out by the plants and i clean his tank once a week. but if you want to do a cycle i would recommend doing a fishless cycle because you can harm your fish if you do a fish cycle. a fishless cycle is very easy either add ammonia pure amomonia or just add a little bit of crushed up food for about 2 weeks+. Or just do like i do add alot of plants. but i have much experience with plants and there effects so dont just add plants and think it is all okay. Like you'll need low light and low co2 level plants for a breeding tank. but yes cycling is very important
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #133 
Lethbridge

So the fry are free swimming today so i removed my male, he is kinda worn out and doesnt eat, but thats usual for males after taking care of a spawn. So i started off today by feeding the fry egg yoke, i will see how this goes if things start going bad i will immediately switch to brine shrimp, but i know they grow fast on egg yoke and brine shrimp may be too big to eat. So this is just an estimate but i think there are roughly around 200+ fry so hopefully things go well
Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #134 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats a pretty decent sized spawn!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #135 
Lethbridge

ya its pretty good, this spawn seems not to like to move much they kinda just sit at the top in little groups but there are some adventures that swim all around the tank. Hope the egg yoke works so far so good
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #136 
Lethbridge

so i went to trying for my gull time job and i was away for 2 days, and i let my girlfriend take care of my baby fry, but i found out that egg yoke doesnt really work that well, i lose alot of fry and i only have about 60 or so left over as i could not see that the egg yoke was not working but now that i am back i have started them on brine shrimp and so far they are doing very good. I am going to start the spawning process for two other pairs tomorrow so hopefully everything goes well with them.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #137 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Sry what happened to your fry
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #138 
Lethbridge

its all good, i have 60 still left and plus i have 2 other spawns on there way so hopefully all goes well
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #139 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your fry! I'm glad the rest are doing good.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #140 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
holy crud!!! thats a lot of babies
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote