Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #1 
paxt0n

Question Some newbie questions

So, from reading some of the posts here, I can tell that I have a lot of learning to do (about cycling, food, water changes, pretty much everything...). I'm excited to learn, though. I think I'll head to the library for a Betta book tomorrow.

In the meantime, here are a few questions:

1) Lighting:

Do Bettas like to have bright light directly on them, or do they just need "some" light (i.e. the room light being on)

I have one of those desk lamps that takes a weird kind of bulb that has a UV filter over it, and gets pretty warm.

If they prefer bright light, directly on them, then I will put this right above his container, as it may provide some extra heat, too.

I'm assuming Bettas need a night and day, so I should shut the light off at night and turn it on during the day...or should I leave it on all the time?

2) Covering the container:

I know Bettas can jump out of the water, so should I have some sort of a cover on his container?

3) Water changes

Until I can get something bigger, he is currently in a container that is about one gallon. How often should I change the water and how much should I change? All of it every day, 50% every day...??

Right now, I have the desk lamp right above the container and shining directly down into it. He appears to be doing very well, as he is "frolicking" around, enjoying all the space! (At least, I'm hoping the "frolicking" is a good thing.)

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but in the meantime, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by paxt0n; 11-08-2009 at 02:44 AM.
paxt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #2 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxt0n View Post
So, from reading some of the posts here, I can tell that I have a lot of learning to do (about cycling, food, water changes, pretty much everything...). I'm excited to learn, though. I think I'll head to the library for a Betta book tomorrow.

In the meantime, here are a few questions:

1) Lighting:

Do Bettas like to have bright light directly on them, or do they just need "some" light (i.e. the room light being on)
They just need some light. If it's light enough for you to see, it's good enough for them.

Quote:
I have one of those desk lamps that takes a weird kind of bulb that has a UV filter over it, and gets pretty warm.
Anything will do. Your options are fluorescent (don't overheat, good if you want ot grow some plants), L.E.D. (don't overheat), or Incandescent (gets quite hot, not as efficient as the other two)

Quote:
If they prefer bright light, directly on them, then I will put this right above his container, as it may provide some extra heat, too.
Bettas are dark water fish so this won't be necessary. In fact, some people even stain their water to a tea-like color with the aid of blackwater extract or Indian Almond Leaves to mimick the betta's natural habitat. Furthermore, lights that heat up the tank are not recommended because they cause the temperature to rise dramatically when you turn them on, then plunge when you turn them off.

Quote:
I'm assuming Bettas need a night and day, so I should shut the light off at night and turn it on during the day...or should I leave it on all the time?
You are correct in assuming this. Fish do indeed need a day-night cycle. If you go with a light (which I would recommend, just for esthetic purposes), leave it on for no more than 8 hours a day. If you are not growing and light-loving live plants, leave the light on only for a few hours a day, or only for observation.

Quote:
2) Covering the container:

I know Bettas can jump out of the water, so should I have some sort of a cover on his container?
Yeah. Whatever you can lay your hands on. Plastic mesh from a hardware store, a piece of glass cut to fit the rim or plastic canvas from a craft store are all options.

Quote:
3) Water changes

Until I can get something bigger, he is currently in a container that is about one gallon. How often should I change the water and how much should I change? All of it every day, 50% every day...??
In a 1 gallon, 100% every 2 days should suffice quite well. Just be sure to bring the temperature of the new water to that of the old water so your guy doesn't get shocked.

Quote:
Right now, I have the desk lamp right above the container and shining directly down into it. He appears to be doing very well, as he is "frolicking" around, enjoying all the space! (At least, I'm hoping the "frolicking" is a good thing.)
Although bettas are curious, playful little guys, be sure to differentiate between darting or flashing and frolicking. Bettas with external parasites will tend to writhe, 'bounce' off decor in an attempt to scratch an itch or dart erratically about the tank. If the btta's movements are suspicious, I'm sure you could look up a darting betta on youtube to see if your guy is exibiting similar behavior.

Quote:
I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but in the meantime, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
You're welcome, and welcome to The Fish Forum!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Kelly got it all.
Welcome though!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #4 
paxt0n

paxt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #5 
dh5daaaccfdd

Section 1 bettas need some light but CAN NOT HAVE DIRECT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't put the light on unless your fish needs some light. Section 2 I recomend to have a cage with a top.
Section 3 Change the water once a week and drop 7 drops of water conditoner in the bowl before you put the water in the bowl. If your fish is moving very fast in a weird way you are putting to much light in the container.
dh5daaaccfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #6 
chrisb1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh5daaaccfdd View Post
Section 1 bettas need some light but CAN NOT HAVE DIRECT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't put the light on unless your fish needs some light. Section 2 I recomend to have a cage with a top.
Section 3 Change the water once a week and drop 7 drops of water conditoner in the bowl before you put the water in the bowl. If your fish is moving very fast in a weird way you are putting to much light in the container.

Hmm...I think some of your info here is a bit off.

Bettas can have direct light as long as your light doesn't affect the water temperature too much.

Yes, you do need a cover for whatever you Betta is in.

For his 1 gallon, a 100% two or three times a week is a good idea.

And the amount of water conditioner to add is directly related to how much water will be going into your container. Check the directions on the water conditioner to see how much you need to add.
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

All conditioners are different. Some call for just 2 drops per gallon and some call for 7 drops per gallon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #8 
dh5daaaccfdd

Thumbs down

I've been researching about bettas 1 hour a day so chrisb1221 is wrong.

Last edited by dh5daaaccfdd; 11-12-2009 at 09:34 PM.
dh5daaaccfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #9 
CodeRed

Kelly got it all (: The only thing I'd say about the light is don't leave it on too long, as they need a cycle to sleep and be awake, and leaving it on too long could cause algae. Maybe 8-12 hours a day? I turn mine on at 7, then shut them off at 7 (:
As for me, I've had luck both with direct light and indirect light. It doesn't seem to affect them in any way, but I light the direct light more, as you can see their colors much better (imo) ;) Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

From bettatalk.com:
DON’T place my bowl in direct sunlight (it freaks me out), or near a cold vent or draft or in a cold room. I prefer warmer, even temperatures. I need my water to be NO LESS than 62F and NO MORE than 82F, and I am happiest if it stays between 70 to 80F
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote