Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #1 
Puremuttz

Just bought a 5 gallon!

So, after having no luck on Craigslist or Freecycle...
I gave in and bought a 5 gallon set-up at Walmart (cheapest option). I will be returning the 1 gallon set-up that Jasper is currently in...which comes to my question:

I set up the 5 gallon today, but how long do I wait before Jasper can ''move in''? I moved him straight into the 1 gallon when I got him, and I have little instant water conditioner tablets which I used for the 1 gallon before adding him, and which have been used in the 5 gallon as well.

I would just really like to move him into the 5 gallon for more room, plus a thermometer and filter. I also bought a heater, but as of right now, the thermostat says my water is about 78 so I don't know if I should use it unless I see the temperature drop.

I am sure that Jasper & his snail buddy, Gary, will LOVE the upgrade.

Also: Is there anything else that can be added to a 5 gallon? I am not ''needing'' to add any more, but I'd like to know if options are even available.

Thanks in advance!
Puremuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #2 
Jupiter

You can plug the heater in and add him now, if you want to.

However, you're planning on cycling, right? You can do a fishless cycle, or cycle with him in there. You do run the risk of him getting sick if you don't moniter everything properly. I did my cycling with my first 2 girls and it turned out to be okay. You just have to make sure to do those small frequent WCs.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #3 
Puremuttz

Do I have to plug in the heater if the temperature is already at 78-79? I would worry it would make it warmer, and isn't 78 ''ideal''?

Anyways, of course it'll be cycled. I just wasn't sure if he could get moved in during it or not. I've been reading up on cycling (but if there is a link you recommend for that information, feel free to share. Can't hurt to have more information to read!)
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Well, from what I understand about heaters, they won't heat the tank if it's already at the ideal temperature. The just stabalize it. Is it an adjustable heater?

Like I said, you can do cycling with fish. It's just a bit riskier. Most people prefer to do fishless cycling, I was just really impatient. Lol. But I used to media and live plants to help speed up the process.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #5 
Puremuttz

Hm...I'm pretty impatient too...LOL

Is there a fish that may be hardier during cycling, that would get along with my Betta? (Assuming i could add a fish in a 5g with a betta + snail), or do you think maybe my snail would be a better option to add to the cycling tank first?

I may move them both into there, but I would feel horrible if Jasper got sick because of my impatience.

I don't know if my heater is adjustable or not. It's the only heater available at Walmart and is Tetra brand for 2-15 g tanks. It's suppose to keep the water at 78 and not overheat.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Oh yeah. I have one of those and it didn't work at all in my 5 gal. I have it in my 2.5 and it works fairly well. But it won't heat the water over 78 degrees, don't worry.

It can be done, you just have to make sure to do a lot of frequent, but small, water changes. I don't have any links on cycling tanks, though.
I know zebra fish are really hardy and often used for cycling, but you wouldn't be able to fit those in a 5 gal. I also have no experience with snails, sorry.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #7 
Puremuttz

It didn't work? Hm...should I just return it, then?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #8 
chrisb1221

If you feel that the heater isn't keeping your water where you'd like it order an adjustable one. Although you could keep the one you have now and put it in a smaller tank because if you've been bitten by the Betta bug you'll probably be getting one =P
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #9 
Puremuttz

I think the 5g is the smallest I'll be using. My 1 gallon just seems ''too small'' and I plan on returning it, not using it again.

At Walmart, it was the same price for 3 gallon as it was for a 5 gallon.

My friend has plans of bringing me a 10 gallon in the future, which will totally promote the desire to get another betta. :P
Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

Hey there. I recognize your name. I am lovemypets81 on goose. :)
I use Marineland Visitherm heaters for all my tanks,they are adjustable. For a 5 gallon a 25 watt is fine. And yes a 10 gallon will make you want more bettas haha...
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote