Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #1 
jarthel

suggestions for a new tank

I have a tank that measures 48in(L) x 18in(H) x 14in(W).

I hoping I could put the following in the tank:
1. 1 male
2. 3 females
3. 2 catfish
4. algae eating ghost shrimps (not sure how many but many 50?)
5. corydoras (not sure how many as well)
6. live plants (maybe 5)
7. various rocks/hiding places

Could you please comment on my wish lists and maybe recommend changes?

Thank you
jarthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #2 
dr2b

Welcome to FishForum! Males and females cannot be housed together ... only for breeding purposes. If you wanted to put females together, you need at least 4 of them. And as for the catfish, you need to watch which ones you put in. Some catfish will suck the slime layer off bettas. Usually it is best to get oto cats or cory cats. Algae eating shirmp are wonderful :) I have some myself with my female and they all get along great.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #3 
jarthel

hello. :)

I've been searching the net and came across replies in other forums where people have placed them together in the same tank?

also, is the tank the right size for a betta (plus other compatible fish)? I checked an online calculator and the tank can theoretically hold 56 gallons.

also, what's the best way of cycling the tank? I'm thinking of fishless but can be swayed :)

how about plant? when do I put them in? after cycle? during cycle?

Apologies for the many questions but you're replies/help are much appreciated :)
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is an article on cycling. I think fishless cycling would be best because cycling with the fish in the tank is very stressful for the fish because of the high ammonia levels. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #5 
TigerLily

A quick comment about the ghost shrimp on your list. Ghosts, to my knowledge, are actually not algae eaters, but scavengers. Although I believe that cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are algae eaters and do a great job at it. :D
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #6 
jarthel

any suggestion for a filter for that size tank? please include link if possible :)

thanks again
Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Yeah, ghost shrimp don't eat algae. Amano shrimp do...they look pretty similar to ghost shrimp.

But depending on the catfish you get, that tank should be fine. You could probably even get more female bettas! But as Dramaqueen said, males and females can't be mixed.

You should put lants in during cycling, they'll help speed up the process somewhat.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #8 
jarthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Yeah, ghost shrimp don't eat algae. Amano shrimp do...they look pretty similar to ghost shrimp.

But depending on the catfish you get, that tank should be fine. You could probably even get more female bettas! But as Dramaqueen said, males and females can't be mixed.

You should put lants in during cycling, they'll help speed up the process somewhat.
thanks jupiter.

I have a question on planting. I suppose I need to have the gravel/sand, plants, driftwood/rock features setup before I start cycling?