Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #1 
ChrissyP

Exclamation Constipation/Swim bladder help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am looking for some help with my betta. I've had him for about 10 months and he has always been a happy healthy fish...until now.
It all started as what I'm almost positive is constipation. His belly got pretty large and I noticed he wasn't going to the bathroom.
I have tried EVERYTHING people have suggested to relieve him but with no success. I changed his water, increased the temp, fasted him, fed him peas, gave him epsom salt baths....all to no avail.
His belly just continued to get bigger, although despite this, he's been acting normal otherwise...swimming fine, making bubbles, etc.
Well, now (it's been 3-4 few weeks) it looks like he is having swim bladder issues. I don't think his belly can get any bigger...it's HUGE!...and he is having trouble swimming up from the bottom and/or swimming straight. I feel absolutely terrible for him, but I don't know what else to do.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Some additional info:
He's in a 1 gallon. He's the only fish. He was eating pellet food. I have also tried flakes and shrimp, but always make sure to soak them first so they expand before he eats them. The last full water change was 1 week ago. I haven't tried any meds because no one has been able to recommend anything to help with constipation.
ChrissyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #2 
HopeInHeart

Hi! I have read on the internet before about someone's constipated fish and what they did was add 1 tsp. of Epsom salt, I'm pretty sure it was a half-gallon tank. I think they left it overnight, and the fish pooed one hour after the Epsom salt was added.

I don't know if you want to try this or not, it sounds like kind of a drastic dose to me, but I now wish I had tried that much when my crowntail had it.
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #3 
ChrissyP

Thank you so much for replying!
I've actually tried the epsom salt treatment....about 4 times already. I heard good things about it however, it hasn't worked for Franco.
I'm beginning to think there is nothing else I can do for him
I've lowered the water level so he can breath easier, but he looks so miserable...I'm not sure how much longer he will last...

Thank you again for your reply though. Any other ideas? I'll try anything at this point.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #4 
ChrissyP

Euthanize?

So, Franco is the same today. He's still alive, but looks absolutely miserable. He is just laying on the bottom. He won't eat and can't swim. I really hate to see him like this.
I haven't gotten many replies, so I'm going to assume that there is nothing else I can do for him. If this is the case, I now have a new question...is there a way to humanely euthanize a betta?
He is obviously not doing well and if there is nothing I can do for him, I'd rather not have him suffer. I hate this idea, but I also hate to see him laying there (possibly suffering) *sigh*
Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #5 
SleepyRN

You can try finding daphnia and fed your betta a small portion. My new betta is having troubles eating and someone mentioned to try these... while I was reading I saw that these also act as a mild laxative. Worth a try? Beats me...
SleepyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #6 
BakaMandy

I've heard of some really evil mystery bloat... I remember someone calling it a Malawi Bloat.

It looks something like this:

There's a full article about it here. Another article about it here. Yes I crawl around on multiple betta fish forums ~.~;;;

)': I pray your fish does not have this... since it's just as bad as dropsy... if not worst since there has been no cases of fish recovering from it...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #7 
ChrissyP

Unhappy

That's it, BakaMandy! I've read both articles and it has to be it. It sounds exactly like what poor Franco has been going through. All of the pictures look exactly like how his big, bloated belly looks and it appears to be air or fluid filled because it is clear when light is shone through. Just like the articles say, he displayed no other symptoms (swam fine, ate normally, flared, no pineconing, remained active, etc.). Peas, salt, and such have been no help...this must be it.
Wow, I sure wish I could have found this out sooner. Even though the outcome is bleak, it's nice to know what in the world is going on. It's been so frustrating to search for answers and try remedy after remedy, yet nothing works.

I think this may be Franco's last night with me. He's declining quickly now and will not even try to surface for air. I just hope he's not in pain or suffering.
Thank you so very much, BakaMandy, for the info!! I really appreciate your help. I would have never known what happened to Franco without your help.
I'm attaching two pics of Franco, one prior to any bloat problems and one with his bloated belly. Hopefully, this will help someone in the future.
Before: http://i38.tinypic.com/11w38y9.jpg
After: http://i38.tinypic.com/2pr5pqe.jpg
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Franco! It doesn't look too good for him right now.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #9 
ChrissyP

Thank you, dramaqueen.
*sigh* My poor Franco. I'm really going to miss him.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #10 
BakaMandy

)': Aw... I'm sorry to hear that... At least you've done the best you could to make him as comfortable as possible... If it helps, lower his water level, maybe if it's still possible for him to swim even the slightest bit, at least reaching the surface will be easier for him.

I just read about this illness recently... T_T It's so sad... and frightening... ._. It's not fair that we can't help them more...

Just on a side note, if you possibly consider getting another betta, I HIGHLY recommend you sanitize everything, or throw everything out and get new equipment, because there's the slight possibility you can cross contaminate.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 11-11-2009 at 01:27 AM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote