Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 
RainbowhLizzie

Talking Sorority Start-Up

Seeing as it will be impossible to get a bigger sorority set up anytime soon (Dad broke the 40 gallon I got and mom will not allow a 110 gallon in the house.), I must settle for a 10 gallon. I know I could get a 20 or a 30, but, honestly, it will probably get broken on the way home. So until I can drive myself to and from the place of purchase, I do not want to risk getting a new tank.
Anyways, back to the tank... This little 10 gallon actually made it home in one piece since it was small enough to go in the front seat. (Thank goodness) I filled it up with 1 1/3 inches of MGOCPM and a 2/3 inch cap of play sand, and put in some stems of red ludwigia and a few trimmings of water wisteria with a stalk or two of hornwort. It has a small sponge filter running, with a decoration (glass cup with gravel and wisteria) from my established 20 gallon inside, along with a 100 watt Aqueon Pro Heater. I am not too worried about the heater, seeing as it has this "glitch" which makes it unable to go beyond 80 F, but holding steady at 78 F at the moment. It may be temporary, may not be. All depends on how well it will do these next few weeks. I used the lighting from my 20 gallon (Which is a light strip made for a 10 gallon I have had for a long time! ) It has a zoo med tropic sun bulb inside.
I am hoping for an insta-cycle with the decoration and a squirt of my established filter drippings into the sponge filter, but I am still cycling with a few of my "boring" guppies that I ended up with somehow. I also need to get more plants and let these grow out more. This gives me time to QT the girls.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  58.1 KB
I currently have 3 girls:
Pascal, the SI derived unit for stress, because she has had stress stripes since day one, yet she is such a happy-go-lucky betta. She is a purple/pink/blue crowntail with a stunning emerald iridescence in the light.
Next is Coulomb, SI derived unit for electric charge, because her tail is such a strong yellow color. She is a mustard gas (?) crowntail with royal blue iridescence.
Last, but not least, is Lux, SI derived unit for illuminance. She is a cambodian veiltail with a light blue tail with splotches of diluted red/burgundy. She got her name because of the effect her iridescence gives which makes her "glow" a bright light blue.

Girls are snoozing, so I will put up pictures tomorrow!

I plan to get at least one more girl to make the pecking order more desirable, preferably two more. I think 5 is all I want to handle now, unless some people feel I should get more. I am just scared they will become overstocked since I plan to add a school of 4 albino cories and a few dozen RCS. I would keep the cories out of the tank stocking, but Pascal would hate me. They are her pets and she freaks out when she isn't with them. I know it sounds silly, but she becomes frantic if I take them out and sulks if they do not come back within a few minutes. This is why they became deprived of a 20 gallon home, but I don't think they mind. I honestly think they love her. (I know what you are thinking, and yes I may be a little crazy.)

I know I may have rambled, but to whoever is still reading, THANKS! And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave your opinions! I value your guys suggestions!

Last edited by RainbowhLizzie; 12-20-2013 at 09:34 PM.
RainbowhLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #2 
RainbowhLizzie

I know I am so late butttttt....... HERE THEY ARE~
My loving Pascal:

Name:  pascal1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  73.4 KB
Name:  pascal2.jpg
Size:  66.9 KB
Name:  pascal3.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB
The stunning Coulomb:
Name:  Coulomb1.jpg
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  coulomb2.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB
And the radiant Lux:
Name:  Lux1.jpg
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  lux2.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB

Funny thing is I got a new 20 gallon long... after everything had been set up and fully cycled. I decided to just stick with the 10 for now. Maybe upgrade when I have the time.
I still need to pick out 2 more girls, but none caught my eye last weekend, so I am going to pick them out this week after volunteering.

P.S. The pictures were so big so I decided to make the words big too
Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice fish!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #4 
RainbowhLizzie

Thank you! :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 
RainbowhLizzie

Update: I put the girls into the new tank and they seem to get along. But now they are starting to fight just a little bit. Funny thing is the smallest girl is actually the boss.
I could not find any other girls in the pet shop that I liked so I did not get any more. I hope that three will be fine for now but I will get at least one more next Thursday. I will also rearrange the tank when I put the next girls in.
I will put pictures up tomorrow. I hope they settle a hierarchy soon.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 
annyann

Very pretty fish! They look like they had just finished eating a big meal! Looking forward to more pics =)
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #7 
RainbowhLizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
Very pretty fish! They look like they had just finished eating a big meal!
I hope I am not overfeeding D: They are just that rounded.

Update: So I woke up to a leaking tank I had to rush everything into my other 10 gallon. I could not salvage the substrate since it got all mixed up in the process, so I have to redo that part. They seem dumbfounded by the rapid change of everything, but perked back up once I fed them. Good thing is that they stopped fighting. They do not even flare anymore, and everyone has their fins in perfect condition.
I will get more sand to cap the dirt I managed to save. Everything should be fixed up by tomorrow.

Now for PICTURES!!
Last night: Full shot
Name:  GroupA1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  62.9 KB
Pascal hiding
Name:  PascalA1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  83.0 KB
Little boss
Name:  LuxA1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  67.4 KB

After the leak and move:
Name:  BooA1.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  60.3 KB
Best friends
Name:  L+CA!.jpg
Size:  53.0 KB
Name:  L+CA1.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB
Poor girl gets picked on by the other two
Name:  PascalA2.jpg
Size:  67.6 KB

Pascal seems to prefer the community life, so I might pick up 3 new girls this weekend and let her go back in with her community buddies. She would be happier, IMO. She still refuses to eat pellets, so she gets tropical fish flakes anyways.

So I was thinking of making spawn mops as cover for the girls. Maybe it could even be a fun toy. Hmm. Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #8 
annyann

Oh no! Sorry about the tank leaking! It was looking good to. Hope you can get it all back to normal again.
You might want to post some pics of your girls in the Betta fish care section and see what some of the folks on here think might be going on with there bellies?

That plant in your last pic looks great, I cant get my plant like that to grow (cant think of the name right now) but my Wisteria is taking over!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #9 
RainbowhLizzie

Thanks! I bought half a grocery bag full of that plant for $5. It is so soft and lush and each piece is over 40 inches. My girls love to lay on it. It was called foxtails, but it is just hornwort, I think.

As for the bellies, I think crowntails just have it? All the crowntail girls had that rounded belly when I was picking them out.

I will keep on updating as I go along :)
I will get the sand today after work. I also wanted to pick up some bulbs for the hood, but can't seem to find good ones. Any suggestions for a good flourescent compact bulb to screw into a 10 gallon hood? 25 watt, 6500 K preferably. :)

Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #10 
annyann

WOW that was a great buy on your plants!!
I have two 6500K 25 watt bulbs on my 25 gallon with fast plant growth (all but my hornwort). I think you will get very high light with the 25 watt on a 10 gallon or medium/high with a 13 watt 6500k. Those are the most common watts sold around here at like Lowe's.

Tags
betta, sorority