Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #1 
phishluv

Devastated :(

I've had multiple bettas in my life and even more various types of fish. My fiance got me 3 bettas on a whim last Thursday from PetCo.

Right now I am watching the last one struggle with life :( the other 2 passed today.

I'm so sad, obviously... I love fish! And my heart breaks for them. I wonder what I could have done to save them, but I'm not sure I could have. Something was off about 2 of them from the beginning, but the one that seemed fine was the first to go.

We are taking them back to PetCo tomorrow in hopes of recouping the money he spent, but I really don't want bettas from a chain store again. The ones I got in the past were not from chains either. I'm not sure if their policy is to refund or replace, I hope refund because I don't want to have my heart broken again so soon.
phishluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #2 
KeshiaB

What is your setup like and what products are you using?
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #3 
phishluv

Quick and dirty. I got some betta keepers for the time being. Pebbles, plastic plant, half a gallon in size each.
Fed pellets with 1 feeding of bloodworm.

Red was always lethargic, would not flare. Blue and black would flare. Red and black died while I was at work. Red is floating face up tail down water still clear. Black is on the bottom with film and water is not clear.

Blue is still fighting. He had some weird tips on his fins when he came home and it has spread all over now it seems. Though it literally only just spread today and fast.

Last edited by phishluv; 12-21-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #4 
meyern

I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't let this experience prevent you from purchasing from a pet store again though. I purchased mine from petsmart 9 months ago and he is quite the healthy little fellow. My brother and sister also purchased their bettas here in June and they're doing great. I encourage you to take the opportunity to replace them. You might have to hunt a little, but you're sure to find a beauty :)
meyern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 
phishluv

Blue was gone this morning. Laying on the bottom, water clear. He went from being a rich vibrant blue/teal to dull blue with black and grey.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you remember to add water conditioner when you put them in their containers?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #7 
phishluv

Yes. I'm at the store now and the water tested great. They have no insight as to why. I'm going to hold off getting any more until I find someone I trust to buy from.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #8 
trilobite

Im sorry to hear that
Were they warm (76-82)? Otherwise they can die off pretty quickly, and if they were in cold cups at the store they would have already been on their way out. The stress from moving, sudden water quality change when put into their new tank, or a slight temp decrease from their usual conditions may have been enough to push them over the edge.
But yeah, I agree that it would be best to buy your next fish from someone who looks after them properly so you start with a healthy fish. Theres a tonne of breeders on here with beautiful fish that are well cared for and healthy, maybe you could try hunting through them
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #9 
twobettas

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose the little guys, even when you haven't had them for very long. I hope you can figure out what happened. I got my bettas from Pet Supermarket, and even though they were in awful conditions, both are thriving here after a few weeks. I could understand one possibly being sick, but it seems odd to lose both so quickly.
twobettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #10 
sandybottom
Reference Team

how did you introduce them to their new tanks?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote