Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #1 
TigerLily

Question Quarantining plants?

My recent batch of betta bulbs seems like it will be a dud all the way around, and so I'm considering buying already grown plants from my local pet store. What concerns me is that they keep their plants spread out throughout their tanks.

One plant may be with their new guppies, another might be in with their goldfish. Can plants that are kept this way transmit diseases among fish? If I buy these plants should I quarantine them, and if so how will I know when it is safe to introduce them to my sorority?
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #2 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I had no luck with my live plants so I can't help you there and I got mine already grown (unprepared probably)
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

i have many live plants and if they come from a tank with fish........what i do is,

1. rinse them very well
2. put them in dechlorinated water, a bucket, for a few days.
3. rinse them again and put in tank

ive never had a problem, but, if there was something transferred onto the plant from their tank, i would think that whatever it was would die since it doesnt have a host {fish they were in with}for a few days
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #4 
TigerLily

Thanks for the tips. :)

Just a few more questions about it:
While you have them in the bucket do you keep them under any particular light and do you use fertilizer during that time?
Should they be rinsed in tap water, conditioned water, or spare tank water from a recent partial water change?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

when i rinse them and also keep them in a bucket, i usually use tank water from the tank that they will be going into, so as to acclimate them to that water. i keep them near a window to get natural light. i usually only use my liquid fertilizer once their in the tank. and i would highly recommend on NOT overdosing with the fertilizer, more is not better. itll make an algae bloom, brown diatoms or green water algae. with the lighting i keep on 6 hours , off for 2, then back on for 6, it keeps algae under control. this is what works for my plants. mostly a variety of amazon swords and water lilys, java moss, java fern and wisteria
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #6 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
You can always use potassium permanganate dip on plants.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #7 
TigerLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
You can always use potassium permanganate dip on plants.
What's that? I don't think I've ever heard of it before.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #8 
okijapan

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem....ontent=NV32411
okijapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #9 
Synthisis

I have a fully planted aquarium. Biggest problem is keeping things trimmed.

When you buy your plants, wash them off so you adoid snails and dirt and other unwanted things.

If there are no roots on your plant, cut the end of it at a 45degree angle.

If there are roots, I would suggest triming a few off and shortening some of the long ones. This pretty much triggers a "my roots were shortened" thing and they grow longer once planted. (This helps... dont know if proven)

Depending on your plants, you need certain lighting and CO2. For my 29gal, the fish seem to be keeping the plants alive nicely. I would suggest Seachem Complete plant care (bottle) and they have root tabs for root feeders.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #10 
shealynn

Do you need to have a filter on to put oxygen in the water for live plants? This may be a retarded question since they need Co2...but I dont want the filter on in my tank and I am always putting it back on because I dont want to kill the plan.
shealynn is offline   Reply With Quote